Sundown Audio

Setting Amp Gains with Deck at Half Volume?

DSMKilla

You can always turn the Mids and highs lower using the bass mid and treble functions in the head unit. Your gonna wanna use your max undistorted volume for the sake of your amp and noise in the system.

Remember with EQ's you can always cut them lower.

Same thing with speakers, you can always make them more quiet, just never louder

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

I'm surprised that no one thought about head unit power right off the bat.

Head unit amps usually clip at ~50% of full volume so if you're powering your front stage with the head unit you should set the subwoofer amp gain at the maximum unclipped volume of the head unit amplifier. That's easy enough to find out... just connect the DD-1 to your head unit amp and run track two through it. ;-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

if the speakers are loud at 20, then tune at 20 with the sub level on the headunit turned up all the way. no point in turning the volume higher if the mids and highs are too loud for you.

Hmmm that's an interesting solution!

So my sub-level goes from -24 up to +6, so just set it at +6, set my volume to 20, and then dial in the gain with the DD1 right?

You can always turn the Mids and highs lower using the bass mid and treble functions in the head unit. Your gonna wanna use your max undistorted volume for the sake of your amp and noise in the system.

Remember with EQ's you can always cut them lower.

Same thing with speakers, you can always make them more quiet, just never louder

Damn this makes good sense too though. Now I'm really scratching my head lol.

What about if I dialed in my subwoofer gain at max volume but then used the Bass Boost on either my deck or the amp?

I'm surprised that no one thought about head unit power right off the bat.

Head unit amps usually clip at ~50% of full volume so if you're powering your front stage with the head unit you should set the subwoofer amp gain at the maximum unclipped volume of the head unit amplifier. That's easy enough to find out... just connect the DD-1 to your head unit amp and run track two through it. ;-)

Yeah I've already done that. My deck doesn't distort at max volume level which is 40. I've read several places that this is common in higher end head units. Regardless I verified this with the DD1 as well which showed ZERO distortion at 40. Either way, 40 is still wayyy too loud to be my max volume level.

You connected a DD-1 to the speaker level outputs of a head unit and it didn't distort at full volume? What head unit are we talking about?

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

wai

BTW here is where my gain knob is when set at Max Volume (40) and then when at (25) which is the loudest I would ever go.

Is it really gonna make that much of a difference??

EWVtWYx.jpg

wait at voulume 40 you had turn ur gain up higher than you did at 20 ? usually its the other way around ...maybe im wrong maybe someone can shed some light like decaf

2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT

Walled- 10.5 cubes net tuned 33Hz

2-15 inch AA Team subs D2

Americanbass- 750.1

1 yellowtop under the hood , 4 c&d 88ah batteries in rear

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

4 soundqubed supertweeters

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

22 years old and still have alot to learn..lets get it

wai

BTW here is where my gain knob is when set at Max Volume (40) and then when at (25) which is the loudest I would ever go.

EWVtWYx.jpg

wait at voulume 40 you had turn ur gain up higher than you did at 20 ? usually its the other way around ...maybe im wrong maybe someone can shed some light like decaf

2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT

Walled- 10.5 cubes net tuned 33Hz

2-15 inch AA Team subs D2

Americanbass- 750.1

1 yellowtop under the hood , 4 c&d 88ah batteries in rear

mechman-270

pioneer headunit-4200UB

4 soundqubed supertweeters

phoenix gold 2 channel

back up camera

stinger volt meter

22 years old and still have alot to learn..lets get it

You set the gain based on the voltage from the RCA.

Normally the gains go from something like .2V-7V.

Say you have a 5V RMS max pre-amp output, this will be set close to the right at full voltage, but if you set it at "half volume" you will have a lower voltage through the RCAs which will mean you need to set the gain to a lower voltage input, as shown above.

Edit: whatever, idk anymore. You just set it to the voltage that you need to based on the output from your HU.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

wai

My bad I had the damn images mixed up. I fixed it now. -_-

Archived