Sonic Electronix

First post...and unfortunately its a problem one

Done many systems so Im not new to it. However this one is stumping me,

Pioneer AVHX4600BT

Kicker KX3 crossover

two RE amps... cant recall the models

running 3 Sundown audio SA8 v2

Kicker 2 way components

I'm getting this horrible buzz sound. and This is NOT Alt wind. It happens with the engine off. I did some basic troubleshooting...

ran my ipod from the rca's behind the head unit...perfect

but if you plug them into the head unit,,, BUZZ...but whats really weird is that it starts even with the power connector unplugged.... As soon as you ground the head unit in any way...the buzz begins.

I'm kinda at a loss here. I tried my bench head unit and it does the same thing so that's out. I have ran a temp ground wire directly to the battery to test and it does it too..... so somehow anytime the RCA gets grounded it buzzes..

Any ideas?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hav you tried bypassing the kicker kx3?

Yes I did.... the volume of the noise goes down a bit...but still very present

Further testing tonight... I hooked up a external 12v power supply to the head unit alone....all noise is gone. So where does that leave me.... this screams noise in power at the head unit.... however I also ran jumper cables straight to battery and head unit....still noise... still full volume. So anytime you hook up the vehicles ground to a head unit in any way ( I have tried two head units) the noise is present. Even without 12v+, noise is still present

Maybe it's a ground loop problem?

You could Try this, get your power and ground from your distribution blocks and daisy chain it to your kicker crossover (if it even needs 12v) and up too your head unit.

That way everything is using the same chassis ground.

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Maybe it's a ground loop problem?

You could Try this, get your power and ground from your distribution blocks and daisy chain it to your kicker crossover (if it even needs 12v) and up too your head unit.

That way everything is using the same chassis ground.

The amps and the crossover are on the same ground,,,, however I will try this directly to the head unit later today and report back....I got to go to the day job right now

Archived