Second Skin Audio

understanding ports, a lesson in dimensions vs efficiency.

Krakin, do manufacturers pull t/s data from speakers when they are at room temp or after they are warm?

Most manufactures will take a large sample of, or all of the batch, measure them all at room temperature and then go with an average for the listed parameters. Which means that your speaker's parameters could already be pretty different from what you think.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Krakin, do manufacturers pull t/s data from speakers when they are at room temp or after they are warm?

Most manufactures will take a large sample of, or all of the batch, measure them all at room temperature and then go with an average for the listed parameters. Which means that your speaker's parameters could already be pretty different from what you think.

Doesn't that make most of our efforts in designing the perfect box kind of pointless? Or is +- a few % here and there not a big issue?

Most speakers in the same line should be close together, so you shouldn't disregard them.

But if you care and have the knowledge of what to do with them then get yourself a measurement tool.

You're not going to get something like one speaker with an Fs of 28 and another with 40.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

such a nice topic :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

i cant really understand why someone would purposely get aero ports, just so they could use less port area. aero ports are just crazy efficient, and purposely using them just to go with less port area seems like you are completely defeating the entire purpose of them. spend lots of money on a nice port, and completely defeat its purpose.

I have to say that honestly I saw this is a good benefit, but not the go-to reason to go aero over slot. My biggest thing was that the whole box would/could be smaller and get the same tuning.

I remember one of my first L-port box specs that I posted for constructive criticism, the first few comments where "dude, you need way more port area per foot...you want to stay between 12-18". Basically finding a balance between not having them too small to the point where you have resistance/noise, but not too big where you loose cone control. Are you saying here that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to use the same amount of port area for aero's as you would for slots? If not, how much would be too little, and what would be considered too much?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What determines the frequency of a port. Is it the total port area or the length of the port? For example if I have a port that is 28 sq." x 16" will that be tuned higher or lower than a port that is 28 sq." x 24. The reason I ask is because I often see people on here with a box made to the t/s perimeters of one sub then they drop a different sub in the same box without redoing (re tuning) the port . Or some says my box is tuned to 35 hz. wouldn't that be determined by the actual sub that they are going to be using?

What determines the frequency of a port. Is it the total port area or the length of the port? For example if I have a port that is 28 sq." x 16" will that be tuned higher or lower than a port that is 28 sq." x 24. The reason I ask is because I often see people on here with a box made to the t/s perimeters of one sub then they drop a different sub in the same box without redoing (re tuning) the port . Or some says my box is tuned to 35 hz. wouldn't that be determined by the actual sub that they are going to be using?

Area of the port, volume of the box and length of the port determine the tuning of the box.

Larger area = Higher Tuning

Smaller box = Higher Tuning

Shorter port = Higher Tuning

Smaller area = Lower Tuning

Larger box = Lower Tuning

Longer port = Lower Tuning

Archived