Second Skin Audio

understanding ports, a lesson in dimensions vs efficiency.

I made a box which I thought would be tuned to 34 and doesn't play very low, is this normal

Also what is playing very low to you?

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great thread, really helping me figure how to build a box with the right port just a quick question. When building a box does the area inside the port count towards the total cubic ft? So I am building a box to for two pioneer champion series pros 12". Specs for the box so far are 3 cubic ft tuned to 35hz with a 8.5 inch port diameter.

It says that vent length needs to be 35 inches? Is this right?

image.png?dl=0

Just a 18 yr old kid looking to learn more about car audio. :)

Great thread, really helping me figure how to build a box with the right port just a quick question. When building a box does the area inside the port count towards the total cubic ft? So I am building a box to for two pioneer champion series pros 12". Specs for the box so far are 3 cubic ft tuned to 35hz with a 8.5 inch port diameter.

It says that vent length needs to be 35 inches? Is this right?

image.png?dl=0

The volume of the air inside of the port does not count towards the airspace that needs to be allotted for the driver.

In your example the 1.15 cubic feet of airspace in the port will not count towards to the 3 cubic feet needed for your driver.

So to clarify your total volume of your box would be 4.15 cubic feet with only the 3 cubic feet left over counting towards your driver airspace.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

So do those numbers seem correct? Can you view the image? It says the vent length has to be 35 inches? How would I do that when my box is only 3 cubic feet? I can upload a 3D image tomorrow

Just a 18 yr old kid looking to learn more about car audio. :)

So do those numbers seem correct? Can you view the image? It says the vent length has to be 35 inches? How would I do that when my box is only 3 cubic feet? I can upload a 3D image tomorrow

Cant see the image but the bigger the port the longer it gets. its a trade off. that's why alot of people use slot ports you can wrap it around the box easier.

• 4 months later...

The effective length is measured with half the flare, but it won't be a drastic change even if you calculate it full length.

Archived