Second Skin Audio

understanding ports, a lesson in dimensions vs efficiency.

Question my subs call for 1.42 per sub ported @ 39hz with 4x14 port. I had a local shop build my box and I measured 4.15 cu feet they put a square port 7wx3h X11 long

this is only 21" port area. By the way I do have 2 10" subs so 4.15cu feet gross seems right my question is the port???

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2017 at 9:32 PM, Michael Dean said:

Question my subs call for 1.42 per sub ported @ 39hz with 4x14 port. I had a local shop build my box and I measured 4.15 cu feet they put a square port 7wx3h X11 long

this is only 21" port area. By the way I do have 2 10" subs so 4.15cu feet gross seems right my question is the port???

If in fact your subs need 56 sq. in. of port then I would say they screwed up. Didn't you give them the specs?

A port 7x3x11 is only .133 cu.ft of volume so your box is way to big. 

• 7 months later...

The only reason I’m building a slot over aero this time is because I want my subs and port to fire back (trunk) together. My last build I had subs up port (aero) back.  My subs plus OD of 6” flared port would not fit on same speaker baffle thus I’m using slot this time.

just Thought I would share-

• 1 month later...

Ok so I have a big ass vent tuned to 24 hz.....I had to use gorilla.glue in some areas the expanding shit in the vent. And wood glue on the others. All the seems have dried  glue bursting out of them along the vent. Is this gonna fuck up the sound in my.vent as the air moves over those.ridges? The amplifier.is 4500 watts..sub is 3000?

Daily driver

• Crescendo Audio Encore 4.5k
  • Fi SP4v2 18" ( 5.5 cube vented tuned 27hz)
  • Hertz Millie mid-range, tweets, xovers
  • Hertz SPL Show 10" mid-bass ( 1 cube sealed box)
  • Hertz hdcp 4 channel amp
  • 370 amp mechman hairpin
  • 2x d3400 XS Power batteries
  • 2/0 gauge 100% ofc welding/ground cable (big 3 done)
  • 40 ft.2 second skin pro/ 40 ft.2 dynamat extreme ( doors sealed)

IMG_20180516_174724.jpg

This is a photo of my vent..and the glue on the sides

Daily driver

It shouldnt cause any audible noise, or issues.

But if it was mine I would try to scrap as much off with a razor blade just because it looks like poo.

I cant stand gorilla glue, liquid nails, or caulk that some people use. A quality woodglue such as TiteBond III is all you need unless you cant cut a straight line and have big gaps.
Just my preference though ;)

5 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

But if it was mine I would try to scrap as much off with a razor blade just because it looks like poo.

I´ve always love your comments!! haha

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

I had all peices cut on a CNC machine accept for 2. Because I wrote out the cut list while I was baked. So had to use a skill saw on those last 2 peices..And as a precaution used gorilla glue  so it would expand. And fill any imperfections in my cut. Also a baked decision. The other 95% of the box was done with Brad's. Clamps..and titebond 3

I've scrapped all that shit now off the vent.  Sanded it..good to go. The rest of the box is flawless accept for that. It was fucking bothering me. 

Daily driver

Archived