Second Skin Audio

understanding ports, a lesson in dimensions vs efficiency.

as we all know, there is always the debate over how to get your enclosures to be as efficient as possible. there so many factors that go into this, but i am only going to explore one of them with this little write up. the port itself, is such a critical element of an enclosure, as we all already know.

you can help yourself immensely in this area with a basic understanding of aerodynamics and simple physics. so with that out of the way, here we go.

we have all seen it time and time again, you can have 2 boxes that seem identical on paper. same internal volume, same subs, same power, same tuning, heck even the same amount of port area, yet different results.

a circular port is a very efficient design, and its not only because you can attach a flared mouth to the end of it. this is because it uses the least amount of actual material on the inside as possible.

example A- a 6" aero port would have 28.274in^2 of port area.

example B- a 5 1/2" x 5 1/8" port would also have 28.274in^2 of port area

example C- a 9 7/16" x 3" port would also have 28.274in^2 of port area

lets just say this port is 10" long, just to make our numbers easier to follow.

example A, the aero port, would have a circumference of 18.849". you take that circumference, and multiply by the length of the port, to get the amount of material surface area that is inside the port, and making contact with the air. in this case you have 188.49in^2 of actual material surface inside the port.

example B, this particular slot port would consist of two panels measuring 5 1/2" x 10" (110in^2 of surface area), and two panels measuring 5 1/8" x 10" (102 1/2in^2 of surface area). so in this port, you would have a grand total of 212.5in^2 of internal material surface that is making contact with the air.

example C, this particular slot port would consist of two panels measuring 9 7/16" x 10" (187 1/2in^2 of surface area), and two panels measuring 3" x 10" (60in^2 of surface area). so in this port, you would have a grand total of 247.5in^2 of internal material surface that is making contact with the air.

in summary:

example A- 188.49 square inches of internal surface

example B- 212.5 square inches of internal surface

example C- 247.5 square inches of internal surface

so, as you see, we have 3 different ports, with the same port area and the same length, yet we have big differences in the amount of internal surface that is making contact with the moving mass of air inside the port. the less material you have contacting the moving air in the port, the more efficient your port will likely be. beyond this, you can also do various types of prep work to the surfaces ass well, to make them as slick as possible to help slightly boost efficiency.

this is but one factor that is directly related to, and greatly impacts the overall efficiency of a port. this same ideology applies with ported enclosures, as well as bandpass.

this concludes todays dose of brain droppings.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet Ima read this later, thanks for a useful post.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Pretty Simple. I got some ideas to try. I wish I just had the time and space to play lol. But If I ever get around to doing it I'll dump it in here :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

This was a sweet read! Thanks for posting this ;)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived