Second Skin Audio

SA-15 Aero Port Design

BigManAC

Hey guys, I am building a box for my buddies SA-15 which he is having reconed by PSI and figured I would try my hand at an aero port. He wants the box tuned to about 35Hz and I have no idea how to do aero ports.

*disregard the aero port input in torres.

Capture_zps79cf0a8b.png

TIA for any help

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Torres is fine when calculating a single aero-port.

It starts to get off with multiple aero-ports.

You still want to get as close as possible to the recommended area by using this calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

You can go under a little bit as cabin gain will make noise less noticeable, but I still suggest the number you find.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Okay thanks man. Im tryng to understand all I can about aero ports before I start to actually design and build his box. I don't want to do a half-ass job on it.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

Not sure where you planned to get the aeroport, but PSP has this calculator on their website to help calculate the necessary port length based on one of their ports (believe the largest they offer is a 6", but you can have it calculate for multiple 4's ect.) Just feed in the net airspace less sub displacement, port size, number of ports, and tuning freq.

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

That help at all?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Not sure where you planned to get the aeroport, but PSP has this calculator on their website to help calculate the necessary port length based on one of their ports (believe the largest they offer is a 6", but you can have it calculate for multiple 4's ect.) Just feed in the net airspace less sub displacement, port size, number of ports, and tuning freq.

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

That help at all?

No use to get more complicated with multiple calculators if he is only planning on a single port.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

That site said that a single port with min. of 8.5 and the length to tune. only problem is I have looked everywhere and can't find a 8 in aero port let alone a 8.5in. Would two 4in ports be the same as a single 8?

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

That site said that a single port with min. of 8.5 and the length to tune. only problem is I have looked everywhere and can't find a 8 in aero port let alone a 8.5in. Would two 4in ports be the same as a single 8?

No, two 4" ports is only half as much as a single 8", you would need four 4" ports.

If you want an 8" port you can get some 8" sonotube from Home Depot, you just have to figure out how to do the flares on each end.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Alright ill look into it. Thank you

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

that´s one big ass port for music, don´t know if you´ll be able to play a nice bandwith, i´m pretty sure it would end up been too peaky, i would use 3 4" aeros :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Okay thanks man. Im tryng to understand all I can about aero ports before I start to actually design and build his box. I don't want to do a half-ass job on it.

ill give ya a little tip about aero ports...... they are flimsy as fuck. when you get your aeros, take em and sandblast the outside, then fiberglass the outside once its installed in the enclosure. itll be rock solid, and the box will be a little louder. just a little tip alan dante taught me a few years back.......

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Archived