How to get into car audio.

Ive been into car audio for about 7 years now and I love it. I would like to get a job at a shop somewhere installing for a living but I do not know where to start. Eventually I would like to open my own shop but that is a ways down the road from now. I wanted to know if anyone had any advise on how I go about getting a job in car audio instillation. Anything specific I need to do or class I need to take? TIA

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

First get you mecp basic cert. Google search that.

then, is there a local shop in your area that you like or shop at frequently?

if so start by talking to them. If they know you and your exp/knowledge in the field you have a better chance.

biggest problem is that there is a lot of people I. This world that claim they can install so shops don't like hiring people unless someone there had seen your work and knows your exp.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I don't have a business but a few years ago i started building enclosures, and the odd amplifier install. All it took was a few installs for my friends and they showed their friends and before I knew it I had people I didn't know calling me up for an enclosure build. I've though about getting a job at a local shop but most of the local shops around here a full of shitheads who don't know what they're talking about. However, I'm actually going to school for acoustic engineering...

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Not to bad mouth the people at the shop I'm Working at shop but for most part I wouldn't trust them to do no more then a basic sub install. One of our installers knows the correct way to do things for safety and everything buy as for gains they still earometer it. The sales guys are just that sales. Besides what they read in manuals they know nothing.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

it's not what you think. I promise you. I work in a shop and I helped one person run their shop years ago and helped another get his shop up and running. keep in mind that it's all about speed when you work in a shop. are you more concerned about becoming a better installer or just be an guy that connects wires? i'm an installer and I turn away business all the time b/c I refuse to sacrifice my quality of work b/c you're impatient or cheap. if you're working in a shop, chances are you'll be on your own learning everything by errors and mess-ups. if you can't teach yourself by reading a book than applying it than this is not something you want to make your primary source of income. i personally suggest that you get your MECP Basic certification than try to get in a Best Buy or Car Toys or something of the sort to get your feet wet on how things are done. I run into to many people that think that being an installer is all Steve Meade Tahoe builds and ISF builds. the truth is that 40% is just a radio install, 50% is remote starts/alarms, 8% is door speakers, 1% are amps, .5% are full installs, and .5% are custom installs. honestly if you can't get into Best Buy or you get in but can't handle it, than this is not for you. There really isn't money to be made on the shop level like most of you guys are thinking. I know car audio shop owners that work 6 days a week and more than 60 hours a week that barely make over 40k. I am constantly asked by friends and fellow shop owners that want me in their shop b/c I know how to train, teach, operate, and run a shop. I always decline b/c they can't pay me the money I'm worth and I refuse to work more than 20 hours a week.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Okay I'll look up the mecp test. I've been doing installs for friends and friends of friends for a while now and it just something I enjoy doing no matter how many installs or what is needed. As far as shops around here there is only one or two and both times I went in to ask for something ( box carpet iirc) they were complete assholes and told me that if they ( the person I was doing the install for) wanted a good system then they shouldn't let some hack job (me) install it. I didn't say anything and just said thank you for the carpet and left. Anyway there are some a bit further that I would be willing to drive to. Right now I'm going to school for business management but was looking at the acoustical engineering. I don't expect to make tons of money doing this I just want to be able to do something that I enjoy doing day in and day out.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Like said not much money in it. Starting pay would be around 9-10/hr and some of the best don't see more then 13-15/hr. I work at a shop but in not an installer. Working 68hrs this week. I do everything and anything around the shop that's needed. We sell high end hone audio, Sony tvs and furniture to. That's what keeps me busy and money in my pocket. The few to.es I've helped out on installs irritated me. Customers want a 1000tms amp 8 gauge wire and stock elect. Tell them the fuse is going to blow and we won't put I fuse bigger then recommended for the wire. They decide to put a 150amp anl fuse on a 8 g wire after you put a 40amp fuse on it. They cone back with melted wires and fried equipment.

thus is the everday life of an installer.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Okay I'll look up the mecp test. I've been doing installs for friends and friends of friends for a while now and it just something I enjoy doing no matter how many installs or what is needed. As far as shops around here there is only one or two and both times I went in to ask for something ( box carpet iirc) they were complete assholes and told me that if they ( the person I was doing the install for) wanted a good system then they shouldn't let some hack job (me) install it. I didn't say anything and just said thank you for the carpet and left. Anyway there are some a bit further that I would be willing to drive to. Right now I'm going to school for business management but was looking at the acoustical engineering. I don't expect to make tons of money doing this I just want to be able to do something that I enjoy doing day in and day out.

Why not go into business for yourself? I'm in somewhat the same situation (management degree and experience at the local and regional level, changed careers and my current occupation I don't work near as many hours and it's not fulfilling to me, have been doing installs for me and friends since I was a teenager) and that's the conclusion I finally came to.

I know I won't be happy working for someone else. Money isn't the whole reason (though it would ill me to work for $9/hour while the boss gets the bucks, I deal with that shit enough in my day job) as much as wanting to do the work my way and be proud of it. I'd rather do one job working for myself, take home all the money, and have to keep a day job to keep the bills paid rather than work twice as hard with half the quality and "the shop" make the money instead of me.

Working out of your own home isn't really unfeasible, just need to look into local ordnances/homeowner's Nazi associations/ect. and make sure there's nothing expressly disallowing it. May need an occupational license (again, really depends on your area), decide if you want to LLC or Sole Proprietorship, liability insurance (highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you burn down an electrical system, or the owner F's something and you get blamed for it), and start getting business by word of mouth. Not sure if that appeals to you.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

That's what I eventually want to do is open my own shop or own my own business doing installs. I just figured it would be good for me to get a job installing officially than doing jobs for friends and see if there is anything I can learn from others who have been installing longer than I have. Of course I always get ideas and learn new things from the great guys here on the fourm but I just want some hands on experience.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400