$400 to spend on upgrades

yurvalentine

So I recently got a 2002 Mustang, and I'm looking to get some decent audio going. For now I have $400 to spend and I want to get my mids and highs going. I have a Kicker DX400.4 (50w x4 @ 4ohm, 100w x4 @ 2ohm, 200w x2 @ 4ohm) from my old system, but that is the only thing I really want to reuse. I've been looking at 6.5 comp sets but I'm not really sure what to go with. So what do you guys think? With $400 what should I buy as far as speakers/amp/crossover? I would love to use the kicker amp but I'm also fine with getting a new one. Would I be best off to get a comp set or get separate mids/tweets? What about crossovers? I'm pretty new at this stuff so any advice you can give is welcome. Also sound deadening/install is extra and I won't count that towards the $400 budget (which can stretch a bit, but not much. College is expensive :shrug: ) Thanks in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

List of things you currently have?

The DX400.4 and a pair of Alpine Type R 6x8 coax that are in there temporarily, but I want those gone. I really don't love the sound. I also have a pair of Kicker CompVR 12s in a sealed box that will do until I build a custom enclosure for a nicer sub down the road. I have a good Pioneer head unit that I will keep using (it has my 3 pairs of RCA out so I'm happy with it.) Basically like I said in the post I'm looking for speakers (just mids and highs) and amps/crossovers for them within my $400.

If all you have is $400, i'd get a wiring kit for the 4 channel amp, upgrade front speakers, and do the Big 3 (just to get it out of the way).

I've got wires and such taken care of, I'm just looking for speakers and amps/crossovers.

Check for car shows in your area, local shops and members on this forum listen to their mids and highs and pick what you like best.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Check for car shows in your area, local shops and members on this forum listen to their mids and highs and pick what you like best.

This.

That amp will do you fine for now. It`s very difficult to tell someone what to buy because one speaker may sound great and be perfect for one person`s preferences but horrible for someone else.

Do you want a warm full sound or do you like a brighter sound?

This is also an important question. Do you want a component set or pro audio? Pro audio tends to be a little more difficult to tune but they do shine.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

My ultimate goal is to have a nice, balanced system, but I would say I'm looking for a bit more on the bright side. As far as pro vs component, I just want it to sound good. If a pro setup is within the budget and would sound better I would go for that. I don't mind spending extra time setting up to get more out of it

Archived