Sundown Audio

Sundown 200.4 - Stuck in protect after replacing transistors

The amp was playing at low volume and just turned off suddenly. I turned the HU off and back on and it came back on, a few minutes later i smelled something electrical burning so I immediately turned the HU off. I pulled the amp out and found 2 of the A1695 transistors blown. Aside from the marks they left on the board when they blew, I see nothing else wrong. I replaced the pair and tried to power the amp on and it turns on but the blue light just flashes on for a fraction of a second then the red light stays on solid. The amp was still working up until the moment i turned off the HU when i smelled something burning so i honestly don't know if the protect light was on as it played those last few minutes. I see nothing wrong anywhere on any of the boards, anybody have a clue as to what else could be wrong?

Im the original owner of the amp, been using it for my mids and highs for a few years now without any issues. Amp was never abused, has been at either 4 or 2 ohms, and never went into protect before.

The last time I saw a chip or component that was blown and knew it by eye-sight was... Never..

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The last time I saw a chip or component that was blown and knew it by eye-sight was... Never..

Not to be a dick but if you have never been able to look on a board and see something blown or burnt then you obviously haven't worked on many things.

Just send it to db-r, then sell it. I had one repaired multiple times for the same parts failing over and over.

Might be a reason they aren't produced any more.

I'm kinda leaning that way already. Was just trying to avoid paying out the ass for shipping. Been wanting to run all RF amps, I guess it's time to save up...

Not to be a dick but if you have never been able to look on a board and see something blown or burnt then you obviously haven't worked on many things.

Just send it to db-r, then sell it. I had one repaired multiple times for the same parts failing over and over.

I'm kinda leaning that way already. Was just trying to avoid paying out the ass for shipping. Been wanting to run all RF amps, I guess it's time to save up...

Not to be a dick, but in most cases you can't see if anything is wrong with it.

Just because sometimes you can see it, doesn't mean that a lot of other things aren't dead because there is no visible damage.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Not to be a dick, but in most cases you can't see if anything is wrong with it.

Just because sometimes you can see it, doesn't mean that a lot of other things aren't dead because there is no visible damage.

Yeaa, no kidding. But blatantly saying you can't see any damage by just a visual inspection is wrong.

So, before it goes off to get repaired, anyone got any last ideas...?

Okay, next time I blow a 555 timer or some logic gates I'll call you to come inspect them with your eyes.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

2 words

protection circuit

then 2 more words

sell it

/end thread

do like what was stated before.. send to db-r and then get rid of that fucker

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL