Second Skin Audio

4th order in hatchback, couple questions

Hey i have a few questions about 4th order for my hatch. Was at the pawn shop and they were selling two of the new type r 12" for $120... couldn't pass it up. they have a couple small cracks in the cone but both play as they should.

As far as design, doing 2cu^ft sealed and 5cu^ft ported 4th order, my questions are as followed.

For the two 12's i should have around 80sq inches of port correct. So if i did a 9"x9" port it would be 14.13" long for 45hz tuning. Should i face port toward the roof? Or you think there would be added gain to kerf port toward the rear (cabin gain possible?)

Any input is appreciated, ive always ran ported boxes, this would be my first attempt at a 4th order.

set up

1991 civic hatch (work car mpg+)

jvc head unit

6.5" focal component in front

Have two 12" alpine type r (new style)

getting

Hifonics 2200wrms cea compliant (i know there are haters...) plan on running 800wrms to each sub, want to have room to play with if i change subs in the future.

Putting two pairs of 4" speakers up front to help. Focals sound amazing with one sub but i know they wont be able to keep up with the increase in power and addition of another sub

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

its a 4th order.... you tune it high thats how they work. and for just a ported box loudest for a single sub is either sub up port back or sub and port facing passenger side angled toward the back. ive tested with just ported boxes and i know how to build a ported box.

So you are going to tune your box to 45 hz?

read up on 4th orders

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Build it so you can just flip the enclosure to either have the port facing up or the hatch.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

im keeping back seat so that isnt possible. probably doing a removable port to play with different ports. looks like im just going to have to build and test... guess thats how i learned everything i know now. might as well get good at 4th orders as well.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Being that you are doing a fourth order I would face it up. You are going to need room for the pressure to escape out of the box without obstruction and if you were to fire back the hatch door is really going to be too close IMO and may mess the tuning up. If you are planning on a 9" x9" port you need to make sure there is at least 9" from the port and any obstructions.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

its a 4th order.... you tune it high thats how they work. and for just a ported box loudest for a single sub is either sub up port back or sub and port facing passenger side angled toward the back. ive tested with just ported boxes and i know how to build a ported box.

read up on 4th orders

You don't just tune it HIGH. You tune it to the resonant frequency of your sealed section for the best results.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

read up on 4th orders

You don't just tune it HIGH. You tune it to the resonant frequency of your sealed section for the best results.

its 2cuft sealed sooo thats 44ish hz if i remember correctly. tbh i hate text, no expression ;) i took it as guy didnt know anything about 4ths which was my bad to think. its been a long day and i was ina smart ass mood after work. my apologies. sorry for not further emphasizing why i tuned to to 45 hz, not my first rodeo tho thanks for the input. was just looking for input on a 4th ina hatchback. designs/tips. i know im going to rip it apart a few times before i get it the way i want. im picky when it comes to my audio. its gotta sound nice im an audiophile. was more asking people with experience on the subject not people to put their opinions, i have my own opinions im just waiting for someone to say something on the subject. then that idea/design will move up on the experiment list

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

im keeping back seat so that isnt possible. probably doing a removable port to play with different ports. looks like im just going to have to build and test... guess thats how i learned everything i know now. might as well get good at 4th orders as well.

with a 4th order you are going to be in the realm of 9 cubic feet after all displacements, you sure you can keep the back seats?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived