[SOLVED: BAD PSU] -- PC Problem Advances to Stage II, even better! Win7 fails to start normal mode but safe modes work

Just a little info; this is the unit I'm running http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136 I'm positive it has more than enough power for what I need, I'm only running at 3.5GHz not OC'd or anything like that. I've never had a problem before obviously with it and reviews seem like it's pretty quality, it's about 2.5 years old and my PC is on almost 24/7 if it's not asleep. So maybe it's possible.

I'm gonna try switching over to regular bootup to check all the voltage information and whatnot (if it stays on long enough) and maybe update the BIOS as a last last resort, because I would really prefer not to have to screw with that, but if nothing works I'll try a PSU from frys or something just to see if that's the problem.

1.5v is a lot for CPU voltage. What are your full system specifications?

it's the ASUS maximus V Gene MATX board,750w bronze TR2, Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU fan, 3 120mm case fans (1 front draw, 1 top output, 1 back input), the XFX 6950 with dual cooling fans, and an i7-3770k, corsair vengeance 16GB(4x4GB), and a hitachi 2GB deskstar; all of it was bought and assembled in a cooler master.

Someone said something about the mobo add ons, I only used the free kaspersky, everything else was either on it already or I didn't use it. Do you mean things like AI Suite and all that?

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, just checked my CPU voltage is around 1.33V, and it's my memory sticks that are at 1.50V.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

this is with as little load on it as possible about 3 minutes after a normal boot up. It's running a bit slow though? It's like it lags when I try to open something and it's just slower to respond.

PCdetails_zps8e11d011.png

I missed Alan.

have you jiggled the power cord?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I was waiting for this. Thank you.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

you seem to have decent setup bro whats the video card your running as I said b4 there are so many things that in computers that can cause problems I look at computers like cars one lil small thing can make other shit act weird, I had a old radeon that made my pc take like 30 min to boot up

[media][/media]

You need to update your BIOS. Here is a video on how to do it:

Your PSU is questionable, Thermaltake skimped on their OEM around the time that was made, their capacitors only last 2-3 years if they are above 50% load most of the time.

I was waiting for this. Thank you.

Rudes lol. Yes, my power plug was fine. But thank you.

I missed Alan.

So, my problem has advanced!

Yes! Just what I was hoping for! Awesome! Super-duper!

So in order to avoid fucking with BIOS, I decided a quality PSU change would be my first try after checking out the mobo, all the caps "appear" to be fine, now I understand they might look fine visually and still be bad but before I took everything out/off I figured a new PSU attempt would help me narrow it down faster, so I ordered an EVGA 750 supernova from newegg reviews are bitchin' so we'll see.

I also went to FRY's to get one to try out first, but they had nothing but shit, though I figured a higher quality surge protector couldn't hurt then the GE I had on (which was still working and protected) so I grabbed a belkin 3940J strip, and after swapping out the surge protectors I go to boot up and viola! my shit won't boot into normal mode! (the PC was shut down, the surge protector turned off, removed, and the new protector was switched off while I plugged everything in, and I didn't hear any pop or noise when I switched it on)

So to clarify; windows fails to start, I've run system repair and restore (2 day, 3 day, 1 week restore points), multiple times to no avail, but it will start in safe mode & safe mode w/ networking. But when I got it into safe mode with networking it did the random shutdown, it tried to start up again and it just died right off almost instantly and hasn't tried again so I'm leaving it alone for now.

My new PSU will be here by the end of today according to UPS.

Any ideas? My Win7 disc is at my bosses house, so I don't have access to it today in case any suggestions would require that.

I missed Alan.

Also, yes I've googled this, but nobody seems to have progressed the way I did. There's about 842 quintillion solutions and "try-this" options for this problem, but many of them require a few hours and my PC won't stay on long enough for that nor do I have the hardware/knowledge of how to do it. And many are a little bit different than mine in minor ways.

Last few details:

I get the normal BIOS screen, and then "Starting Windows", the little dots undergo a nuclear fusion and create the windows logo, but then after that it goes to a black screen forever, forced to restart with the power button, it restarts with "try repair mode/start windows normally".

I've used F8 to reach the safe mode options and those DO work all the way, but once I was in I found no software changes and it even said my system restore was successful to 8/21/14, that's when I tried to restart into normal mode for the last time, still didn't work.

I missed Alan.

Archived