my buddy Jose excited because he had never held a big sub. lets just say he was a happy camper

FB_IMG_1475117285439_zpsbk1ulgrw.jpg.ae7400d77cf19e7b71867171bba6c84d.jpg

i added 4 more of these bad boys to seal off the trunk for good, there is still a leak somewhere that i still have to adress, but its a better seal than before,

20160812_182442_zpsziz1r5by.thumb.jpg.c6ad5d445703ab1672eb77baa96df082.jpg

first test fitting of the subs, (hint the vise grips underneath wood spacers) they have about 1/4" clearance from the mounting depth ( granted they are tilted and the bottom fiberglass mold is also tilted so the speakers breath thru the motor hole, on the side walls they have around 1/8" clerance from the walls.... yea there where a bitch to fit in!

20160828_195709_zpsaaeojtsc.thumb.jpg.c6ff776031e8046501a248f9d1d71f66.jpg

next to fix on the list was the roof. there was a 1" tear near the end of the roof, so that had me worrying with the new build since its geared towards low frequency response, my initial thought was everything that i had brace in the roof was fine since i dint hear any loose or rattled pieces, and the roof was still strong... boy was i wrong

20160821_165054_zpso5himuj1.thumb.jpg.8b9e706d9badc94098aaba7cc8c93152.jpg

so my initial idea was to weld 2 or 3, 1" square tubing from the roof to the rear deck lid to add as a brace , when i stared to remove the sound deadner i start to notice some issues with the original roof beam of the car and the added 1/8 flat bar that i had welded and glued with PL X8, at first glance i though bad weld that dint penetrate well into the sheet metal and broke off and start to rip the sheet metal, it wasnt till i started to grind of the weld i found out, they where actually good welds and they riped the sheet metal. boy was i in trouble

so we decided to remove the added 1/8 flat bar. to take a peak and actually find out what was going on, we cut and grinned the welds and had to torch the PL Glue and insert a spatula to prying it off, i was and awful thing to do since PL glue starts to melt and catch on fire and irritate you eyes so we had to remove it in section and have a fan blowing

20160827_194426_zpskgbmyvcv.jpg

so indeed there was a major tear in the center for the beam brace, gladly this was the only affect area and all other areas of the roof where in great shape, :yahoo:

heres my buddy Saul welding those rips back together, after it was all fix Saul wasnt to happy with the repair, and said the sheat metel was already to weak and we need a new plan :unknw:

20160918_095758_zps9uaa1wxv.jpg

heres a quick tip for anyone welding close to the sheet metal of the roof and is worried of the heat messing up there paint job, i grabbed a beach towl and soacked in water then added a bag of ice over it to keep it cold, the cardboard is just there to add shade to the ice since it was a hot day and it reduce the ice melting with the sun , over all it worked great, just to repeat my self we did not weld to the roof directly. i dont want anyone messing up there roof because they did this and it dint work , if we have to weld something to the roof we glue a piece of flat bar to the roof first and then weld on to the flat bar just so we dont mess up the paint job

20160918_095811_zpsottlmulp.jpg

we decided to cut open the roof brace where it had ripped. and start brain storming,

20160918_173914_zpsypia9cbj.jpg

20160918_173924_zpso7verg8y.jpg

the car roof currently sits as it is, since the roof actual sheet metal was already exposed due to the cutting of the brace i did how ever PL Glue a 1/8" X 2" flat bar straight to the roof, i also added 4 pieces of 3/4" threaded rod to that same flat bar, had to explain over text what my actual idea is, just thing of it has a sandwich it many flat bars welded together to make one solid piece , you guys will get the idea later with the pictures following in as a puzzle, and stuff starts to fall in together,

20160918_170629_zpsqow6mit3.jpg

test fiting

20160918_170612_zps5yy6zutm.jpg

PL Glue X8 for the win! i recommend this to anyone rock solid product!

123951_zpsnexnxubr.jpg

heres some of the pieces that will get welded to the roof they will all serve its purpose, they are currently in the fabrication processes, some peices still need to be bent since the roof does have a slope

.20160918_215937_zpss4l78mc4.thumb.jpg.432760183ad8175d537cdc3f790a31ca.jpg

yea thats right! thats 4" x 1/4" in thick you guys are looking at! im done playing around :lol:

20160918_210955_zpslwvbkrlu.thumb.jpg.809deccc0f65b3ecf84d397e2458489a.jpg

drilling 1/2" holes to adhere the pieces together by welding them thru the holes

20160920_194235_zpslmksl9nz.thumb.jpg.3df367b8aa93afec034147cf8ee509c9.jpg

this is my dad helping us torch some holes since we dint have a 7/8 bit to drill out he holes, plus it was way faster

on a side note this pictures makes me happy and great full, i don't like to post any personal information, but my dad has been on this wheel chair for the past 20+ years due motorcycle accident and being paralysis from the waist down , and was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer a year ago, has of now he currently doesn't have stomach and is battling diabetes, man seeing my dad still get down and dirty makes me get the best feeling in the world, and if it wasnt for him i probably would't be doing the crazy stuff i do in my builds since he pretty much taught me everything and has let me experiment and is constancy pushing me to my limits to get better and better .

anyways sorry for getting all emotion just taught i would share... back to the build!

you guys are pretty much all caught up to the build, there is a lot of bondo work i have been doing to the box since i wasn't very pleased from the start and was also done in a very rush down matter, but thats all boring stuff... i will continue to post pictures a i do stuff to it :good:

Very cool build man! If you need any advice or have any questions about 6ths pm me, I've done a bit with series tuned and understand how they work (tuning). Check the 2 12s blow through link in my sig for my series tuned build. I've got more experience with parallels though and I'm currently building a parallel walk through with 2 sundown x15s (top link in my sig).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived