Painting MDF process

BIGlep

Hi. I am getting ready to paint my box and have looked through a few threads on the idea. It seems that for a half decent finish I would need to use like 4-5 layers of primer to soak in/coat the mdf, then like 4 layers of paint. My question is what king of primer or paint should I use. I think spray paint would work well but I don't know what kind or anything.

I would greatly prefer to not bottyfiller/bondo or fiberglass because I really don't need a show quality finish and I am trying to get this in my car, playing by this Monday. The panels will be painted individually since the box is being built in my trunk.

If anyone has any experience or advice I'm interested to hear.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used outdoor behr paint and some smell good "clean linen" paint additive so my girlfriend would smell it and remember to wash my shirts.

6tcqde.jpg

lol

The only real problem painting mdf is the cut ends find a way to seal them (there are multiple ways) and you'll be fine with spray paint I prefer to use high build primer as my base. Also if you're unwilling to use body filler the ends are going to look bad even if you seal them so don't be shocked if that area doesn't look the greatest when you're done painting. I like two to three coats of primer sanding inbetween each coat. Then two to three coats of paint sometimes more depends on the color and how it's turning out then couple coats of clear coat and then wet sand it just make sure you get enough clear on that you won't burn through it when you wet sand. Got to be willing to spend time and money to get a nice result.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The only real problem painting mdf is the cut ends find a way to seal them (there are multiple ways) and you'll be fine with spray paint I prefer to use high build primer as my base. Also if you're unwilling to use body filler the ends are going to look bad even if you seal them so don't be shocked if that area doesn't look the greatest when you're done painting. I like two to three coats of primer sanding inbetween each coat. Then two to three coats of paint sometimes more depends on the color and how it's turning out then couple coats of clear coat and then wet sand it just make sure you get enough clear on that you won't burn through it when you wet sand. Got to be willing to spend time and money to get a nice result.

So you don't believe that enough primer could prevent ends from soaking in paint? Also, would I roll on the high build primer and then sand it smooth a bit before painting?

You can also resin the exterior of the box as well, and sand it smooth and do a final sand with 220-400 grit paper to remove any large scratches in the resin.
You could also fill the edges with bondo as well, dry wall mud would be the easiest to sand. Never used it on mdf myself but seems like a great idea.

Here are a few of the ones I painted, I used a HVLP spray gun on these ones.

This black box was just a quick coat, nothing to fancy just wanted to spruce it up for the chick a little before we put it in her car.1269271_686015101422300_123309686_o.jpg

A nice smooth glossy paint job on this one and the next one.

10357461_770619412972376_237895395740008

1801150_811498308884486_2761873287123309

This box was built into the car, and spraying paint wasnt an option. This was done with foam mini rollers, and lots of wet sanding between coats to keep the paint smooth!

I used FoamPro roller pads, these ones to be exact http://www.menards.com/main/paint/brushes-rollers-trays/roller-covers/foam/foampro-foam-roller-fine-finish-6-inch-10-pack-refill/p-1473853-c-8115.htm

473287_591803004176844_1959536995_o.jpg

Also worth a shot using a sanding sealer or a coat of clear lacquer. Or shellac.

Just have a test piece as rarely the sealing coat can sometimes mess with the final finish.

Wiping down the box with naphtha or lacquer thinner first is a good idea too just in case there's glue or silicon hiding about the place to ruin your finish.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

You can also resin the exterior of the box as well, and sand it smooth and do a final sand with 220-400 grit paper to remove any large scratches in the resin.

You could also fill the edges with bondo as well, dry wall mud would be the easiest to sand. Never used it on mdf myself but seems like a great idea.

Here are a few of the ones I painted, I used a HVLP spray gun on these ones.

This black box was just a quick coat, nothing to fancy just wanted to spruce it up for the chick a little before we put it in her car.1269271_686015101422300_123309686_o.jpg

10357461_770619412972376_237895395740008

^^^^^^ WHat he said. Resin makes a great seal before painting.

Archived