How to determine how many amps of an alternator I will need?

Looking to get a high output alternator for my 98 blazer but am wondering how to determine what size of one I should get. Can someone help me out with this?

Make sure you call the company you order from. I was going to go as big as possible and get the Mechman 270A alternator, but I called them and they told me that 270A is too much as my truck (2000 F150 V8) has issues with there being limited belt contact on the alternator pulley. They said the 270A would slip like crazy.

Talked to them again and they said their last couple batches have been doing doing more then rated, 240A is doing 260A hot and the 270A is doing 300-320 hot. Hot being 200 degrees.

After all is said and done the 240A suits me best (2400w rms) and my vehicle will be happy. Mechman has good service they saved me $100 and future potential problems. There's a lot of companies out there who won't tell you things to make the extra money.

Glad I phoned.

unfortunately for me I was screwed by mechman, singer has been the absolute best guy I have ever done business with, my alt turned out more amazing then I could have imagined, he also does lifetime labor for free, you just pay for parts at cost, quick turn around, I talked with him for over an hour one night just about alts, he knows his shit

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Looking to get a high output alternator for my 98 blazer but am wondering how to determine what size of one I should get. Can someone help me out with this?

Make sure you call the company you order from. I was going to go as big as possible and get the Mechman 270A alternator, but I called them and they told me that 270A is too much as my truck (2000 F150 V8) has issues with there being limited belt contact on the alternator pulley. They said the 270A would slip like crazy.

Talked to them again and they said their last couple batches have been doing doing more then rated, 240A is doing 260A hot and the 270A is doing 300-320 hot. Hot being 200 degrees.

After all is said and done the 240A suits me best (2400w rms) and my vehicle will be happy. Mechman has good service they saved me $100 and future potential problems. There's a lot of companies out there who won't tell you things to make the extra money.

Glad I phoned.

unfortunately for me I was screwed by mechman, singer has been the absolute best guy I have ever done business with, my alt turned out more amazing then I could have imagined, he also does lifetime labor for free, you just pay for parts at cost, quick turn around, I talked with him for over an hour one night just about alts, he knows his shit

How'd Mechman screw you over? Curious as I have yet to order my alt. Even though I can't go any bigger then 240/250 on my F150 I still might consider singer depending on price...

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Archived