Sonic Electronix

Ease of gain setting is not what my augment is about. I have never once said the DD1 doesn't make gain setting easier, I only said that playing test tones to set gains by ear can be as effective, and believe it or not, it is and has been proven.

Have you a DD-1? Care to prove me wrong?

I bought my DD-1 about 2 months after it came out. Used it one several systems. And I used to set by by ear.

NEXT!

real men set by ear... and people who cant afford DD-1 lol But seriously though, i set my everything by ear and i never had problems. I would rather have a DD-1 to set my gains, i just make due with what i have.

I set by ear, RTA or voltage until tools like the DD-1 came along. If you cant afford a DD-1, this site provides an SMD tools map on this site.

Come to AZ. I can get you access to a DD-1, CC-1, and an AMM-1

i could probably buy those with the money spent on gas to get there lol

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

I'm not completely on board with that statement. It has been confirmed that using test tones when setting gains by ear gives the same setting as using an O-Scope with test tones.

Maybe the DD-1 somehow magically allows the tuner to set the gain more precisely for maximum clean power at the recording level used when setting the gain, but I don't see how.

Is the DD-1 fairly inexpensive and does it make setting gains easier? Yes, I will agree to that all day long. I just don't see how when it has been shown that setting gains by ear with test tones will get the same gain setting as using an O-Scope allows one to claim the DD-1 is more accurate.

The use of test tones to set gains by ear can be quite harmful to an unprotected ear and having new equipment playing at maximum clean power, then into clipping and back could potentially increase the likelihood of inducing damage to the driver early on. So, I will give the use of a Scope or DD-1 all the credit they deserve, however I just can't bring myself to say they are more accurate, and that is what this whole argument is over.

How to set gains by ear: Get a clean 10hz tone, put it on a cd/mp3 player and turn your volume up 100%. turn gain up full and bass boost on full. play tone. 10hz is the magic mating call for the bassicorn. the bassicorn will further assist you with your system.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

I haven't the means to get to AZ and the map doesn't show anyone near me here in KS withing reasonable driving distance. I could buy the tool myself for the money spent to drive and pay someone to use a Scope or DD-1.

Noelito, no, I have no DD-1, scope or anything to be able to prove my point, however, there are creditable sources that claim the same and there's even videos on the net as well, but members on here will discredit anything that claims setting gains by ear can be as effective. However, every time I get such a response, it seems people tend to leave out the use of test tones and merely state that setting gains by ear is not as accurate. I will admit, setting gains with music is not effective in any way, shape, or form . I have seen many videos showing such to be true.

I linked a youtube video once that claimed/showed such a method to be effective and got flamed pretty good for it. I also posted a link to an article on Crutchfield claiming the same, but never checked back to see all the responses flaming me once again.

How to set gains by ear: Get a clean 10hz tone, put it on a cd/mp3 player and turn your volume up 100%. turn gain up full and bass boost on full. play tone. 10hz is the magic mating call for the bassicorn. the bassicorn will further assist you with your system.

you're the kinda guy we need around here. You're hired. Lol

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

So tell me, how so is the DD1 or an O-Scope more effective than using test tones and one's ear?

Tools that are made to measure audio, like a DD1 or O-Scope are calibrated and work the same everytime, your ear does not.

I guess if you have a cold and ear ache you are going to have to wait til you're better to tune your amp

What is "distorted music"? I doubt the music itself is distorted, maybe the signal but not the music.

Look at some amateur "bass boosted" music, it is usually clipped to shit by some noob with audacity

Even some low budget mixtapes and beats can be full of distortion

Please, if you're going to be a condescending prick, don't do it on a post that has absolutely nothing to do with you from the start.

Trust me when I say the orionmustang guy is being gentle with you here. Calling you noobs is not as bad as what I have seen.

Ease of gain setting is not what my augment is about. I have never once said the DD1 doesn't make gain setting easier,

I only said that playing test tones to set gains by ear can be as effective, and believe it or not, it is and has been proven.

You guys are basically saying tuning by ear is better than using the DD1

on the forum of the guy WHOSE NAME IS ON THE DD1

:okasshat:

If you wish to be yet another sheep in the flock buying every device claiming to get you proper gain settings to avoid clipping, by all means, spend away. If that's what you need to sleep at night, it's cool with me.

:banhim:

hammer.gif

Ear,oscope,dd-1 all for pussies I built a wheel of gain by percentage I spin it and what ever it lands on is what I set my gain to. Got another one to for determining max headunit volume.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

you're the kinda guy we need around here. You're hired. Lol

i try haha

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Archived