FiCA Focus (first fiberglass build)

ok I probably shoulda started this thread a LONG time ago but I kept putting it off but I have been taking lots of pictures along the way so now that it's almost done I'll go ahead and post everything I've done so far lol

first of all... look at this sexy thing ;)

1408169470391_zpssxublvhj.jpg

1408169470711_zpst3cjhplg.jpg

ok now for the box...

first, of course I did ALOT of taping

1408169471354_zpsiboecz6r.jpg

ran out of time and had to get to work...

and more taping...

1408169471303_zpse3kpruj8.jpg

and I actually even did a little more taping just to fully protect my car but didn't get pics of that...

then I started fiberglassing in the car to get the mold started...

1408169471243_zpsr92fwcgz.jpg

I did eventually finish that layer of fiberglass but I ran out of resin when this picture was taken lol

1408169471174_zpsar1fviji.jpg

first layer done and got it out of the car (had a bear of a time getting it out of the car with all the tape there sticking it to the car... was afraid of breaking something... finally ended up pulling the seat down and sticking a crowbar behind the box to peal the majority of the tape off)

did 2 more layers with the tape on then took the tape off and did another 3 layers!! (and yea for some reason it got kinda bumpy but since it's a sealed box I was told it wasn't that big a deal)

20140731_153509_zpshnmmatzo.jpg

20140731_153539_zpswda2d7bg.jpg

while those layers were curing took some time out to make a ring and lathered that in resin lol

1408169470167_zps2u3mbg7o.jpg

then put it back to figure out how I wanted it shaped in the car and drew lines...

1407210982592_zpsmmqdnyo2.jpg

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now it's all ready to trim!! btw... turns out a circular saw with a diamond tipped cement blade works rather nicely as a grinder lol

1407210975437_zps6zi866vj.jpg

1407210957390_zpsbjq1uybu.jpg

now all cut and rinsed out of the sawdust (which I was washing out of my hands for weeks!!!) and stick it back in to check and make sure it fits how I wanted it to

1407210953311_zpsmran998a.jpg

then mounted the ring with some boards and wrapped the whole thing in Broncos fleece using a hot glue gun

1408169469789_zpsnx4acada.jpg

covered the fleece in resin to harden the fleece before glassing

1408169469715_zpsoagnw7pf.jpg

then did a layer of fiberglass and cut out the hole a little bit

1408169469649_zps0ub1vvrv.jpg

1408169469535_zpsrfylxrku.jpg

did another 3 layers of fiberglassing on the outside and resin and another layer of fiberglassing on the inside and around the corners on the inside and did another test fit

1408169469432_zpsqldgpbhx.jpg

next I took it out and got to work cleaning up the hole and sanding the whole thing, took a second to figure out that using the circular saw as a grinder for a round hole needed a slightly different tactic... so I messed it up at the beginning...

1408169468973_zpsihvfyxwt.jpg

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

but after some practice and some using my brain pain I figured it out

1408169468885_zpsnwv7xk2x.jpg

1408169468806_zpsw89lubbs.jpg

then broke out the belt sander and got to work sanding stuff smooth (left it a little rough since I was using 80grit and the plastic in my car is rough too so thought it might look ok to keep it a little rough as long as it wasn't all bumpy)

1408169468741_zpspol3cgut.jpg

lastly I broke out the good ol' rattle cans and did some paint work on it...

1408169468700_zpsjedfhlmn.jpg

and wired and mounted the sub and put it in my car

1408169468666_zps8hu7y6vt.jpg

1408169468560_zps9g8ck2mo.jpg

haven't gotten any pictures of the rest yet but so far I have also:

installed a small battery in the back on the other side (mostly just to use to run wires to it to make it easier rather than running wires all the way from the front straight to the amp)

installed LOC and ran RCAs from LOC to the back

and ran 2/0 power wire through the car (just cuz I could and I still had some left over from my Taurus and they already had terminals) haven't actually connected either end to a battery yet till I get the back battery grounded and upgrade at least the ground on the front battery

now just gotta finish the easy stuff with the power wires (running grounds, soldering a terminal on the end of the power wire that I had to cut cuz it was 3ft too long) and then buy an amp and hook everything up

My Build Log

how does it feel.....

to suck at life that bad?

:wub:

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

yer just jealous cuz I'm gna finally be playing lol

My Build Log

Wow he made a build log. Looking good man!

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

lol ikr finally did it

My Build Log

Awesome man. Nice rebranded havoc you got there :peepwall: lol

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

lol yea whatever more like the other way around... and a failed attempt at rebranding at that

My Build Log

I'm just ducking with you man. You were the one who brought their differences to my attention.

Edit: dam autocorrect

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived