Custom Laptop build

I'm thinking about making a custom laptop. Using a Dell latitude 100L case and motherboard. My buddy is selling me basically another laptop it's asus but the screen is broken and it doesn't have a hard drive. He got the laptop within the past 3 years. I'm thinking about using all the major parts, ie ram, Processor, and graphics card.

I'm thinking about making a custom laptop. Using a Dell latitude 100L case and motherboard. My buddy is selling me basically another laptop it's asus but the screen is broken and it doesn't have a hard drive. He got the laptop within the past 3 years. I'm thinking about using all the major parts, ie ram, Processor, and graphics card.

you got a LOT of variables there...do you know the mobo/processor/ram is compatible already?

Laptop's are extremly hard to customize beyond their original platform since everything incased in the laptop case is built specifically for that case. A while back I upgraded my HP laptop with a better processor that fit the socket and the motherboard supported. HP seems to be the most useful to the user if you want to disasemble your laptop, they show a complete blue print of the laptop and have directions on how to remove each part without breaking ribbon cables or other plastic pieces that are easy to break.

If you go with a laptop that supports an A series AMD processor, you can upgrade the processor all the way up to the A10 series that is their most powerful, those have been found to have the most flexability when it comes to upgrading the GPU and CPU. Only limitation is that you have to stay within that generation of A series processor, so if you find a AMD A6 4000 series processor, you can only replace it with an AMD A10 4000 series processor and not a 5000 series. You don't have to worry about the power supply since they are all designed to work within the same power specfications.

High end laptops come with motherboards that have a MXM slot that allows a high end video card. But you have to do your research on those because of the power supply system. Some are designed to support power for two video cards and some are only able to power a mid range video card.

If you really want a truely customizable and portable system, you should look into a Micro ITX build. You get a lot more raw processing power for your money.

Archived