Second Skin Audio

4" or 5" aeroport for 1.5cf box?

srool

I usually use about 14-16 sq in per 1 cuft in when using slot port and a bit less (12-14) when using aeroports.

I see a lot of single 12" boxed usuing I 4" aeroport, so the ratio is 1:8-9. isn't it too low?

If I want a 1.5 cuft net box, shouldn't I use a 5" aeroport ?

Thanks

What subs?

When I was flirting with aeroports, I was told by a few knowledgeable people that you can get away with a little less port area with an aero than you could for instance a slot port.

Aero Port > Round Port > Square Port > Slot/Rectangle Port In order of needing more and more area to keep port noise at bay (not necessarily a huge diff from one to the other, but it's a progression).

There was actually a really nice writeup on all of this, and lots of good info chimed in after the fact.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I usually use about 14-16 sq in per 1 cuft in when using slot port and a bit less (12-14) when using aeroports.

I see a lot of single 12" boxed usuing I 4" aeroport, so the ratio is 1:8-9. isn't it too low?

If I want a 1.5 cuft net box, shouldn't I use a 5" aeroport ?

Thanks

This is why you don't want to use the port area / cube rule, port area depends on keeping airspeed low not box volume.

The subwoofer is single 12" DC Audio Level 4. Its going to run on DC 2.0K, it would be on stock Cayenne electrical so I'm not sure how much watts its gonna really see.

Joe X- could you explain a bit more about it and about the different power applications relative to round port area?

I believe a 4" should be good. While it is true that port area is actually based on excursion and frequency, using the dummy rule you should have I believe 7-8 sq.in of port with aeros. A 4" gives you ~8sq.in

This is what I use. I doublechecked the output of this calculator against the formula I found on the interwebs, and they come out dead even.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

You need teh Xmax and tuning frequency, select driver size for the sd, and hit the gimme button. This DOES NOT take into account power, which will obviously play some roll.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I only use aeroports and have ever since they have been proven to be louder in small scale SPL applications. With that said I have a couple of standards that I follow on how much port area to use. If the box is a daily box with low tuning I use 6-9 sqin per cuft of box. If the box is daily and tunning is above 35hz I like 8-12 sqin per cuft.

If the box is being built for SPL low frequencies are not usually valid. I have had very good success with SPL boxes using 12-18 sqin of port per cuft. I built a single 15 box that was 3 cubes with a single 8" aero off of 4k watts that did a 152.6 in the hatch of a focus zx3. That box came out to be 16.75 sqin per cuft and is a higher ratio then most slot ported boxes.

For a box that is 1.5 cubes a 4" aero is perfect unless you plan on strictly burping the sub. My current setup with 2 sa12's is in a box that is 2.8 cubes with 2 4" aeroports. This gives me 8.97 sqin per cuft and is tuned to 36hz and is doing 151's on the dash but peaks in the 46 to 47hz range. This means that technically the box is tunes too low and would be much louder SPL wise if tuned higher, but this would sacrifice listen ability.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Archived