DC Sound Lab

Why is my coils smelling

Even if set with a dd1 you can still clip if your playing song below tuning. Say your tuned to 35hz...play a song is the 20s coils will still heat up

My box is tune to about 34hz and the only time that I getting smelling them is when I put something on that really got so drop.

should I be kinda concern about them heating up or that one of those thing that gonna happen, because original had two amp on one sub when i first install them.

Even if set with a dd1 you can still clip if your playing song below tuning. Say your tuned to 35hz...play a song is the 20s coils will still heat up

What? Please explain how that works.

Was in a hurry and worded it wrong...should have said subsonic filter

not below box tune but below the tune u have ur amp set at

So playing below a point that's attenuated by the crossover will create clipping? Really think about this one.

Clipping is caused by trying to make the amp produce more power than it can. It is not dependent on frequency and crossovers.

Does anybody know if DC uses a 2 layer coil in these? Any 3" 4 layer coil should be nearly impossible to burn up with a 500W amp. Either DC is using absolute bottom of the barrel Chinese coils or something else is wrong here.... I really suspect the latter.

** We use American Made Coils - Rusty **

Edited by WCA Rusty

how do you have a level three with an upgraded motor please explain

When I order it, my dealer suggested that go to a level 3 sub and do a level 4 on the motor. At first I was gonna do level 2 and was gonna upgade the sub later.

so you have a level 4 motor with level 3 coils.

what kind of DC dealer would do that? LOL its always supposed to be the opposite. level 3 motor with level 4 coils.