DC Sound Lab

Why is my coils smelling

l don't understand, that how you tell the difference between the coils?

You physically cant just buy looking at it through a vent hole on the woofer.

You can easily tell upon building the woofer or if your cutting it apart for a recone.

At those 2 times you can easily count the layers of windings around the former.

The 8layer coil will usually be a little bit thicker due to it having twice the layers of wire wrapped around it. But this is not always true because sometimes it maybe 8 layers with a thinner gauge material making the outside diameter pretty close to the 4 layer coil with the heavier gauge aluminum wrapped around it.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

l don't understand, that how you tell the difference between the coils?

You physically cant just buy looking at it through a vent hole on the woofer.

You can easily tell upon building the woofer or if your cutting it apart for a recone.

At those 2 times you can easily count the layers of windings around the former.

The 8layer coil will usually be a little bit thicker due to it having twice the layers of wire wrapped around it. But this is not always true because sometimes it maybe 8 layers with a thinner gauge material making the outside diameter pretty close to the 4 layer coil with the heavier gauge aluminum wrapped around it.

Oookay!

I think I left it at zero, so if I drop it a bit I'll be okay?

somehow, i doubt you own or have used a DD-1. If for some reason i am wrong, and usually i am not, than you probably did not do it right. "ummm i left it at zero"...LOL what? Anyone that uses 0db tracks at the amplifier level shouldn't have any problem with overpowering their subwoofers if they are properly matched (in specs) to the amp they are hooked up to. Even though i don't believe you know what i am talking about, i just want to point that out in case somehow i am wrong. But i doubt it.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

somehow, i doubt you own or have used a DD-1. If for some reason i am wrong, and usually i am not, than you probably did not do it right. "ummm i left it at zero"...LOL what? Anyone that uses 0db tracks at the amplifier level shouldn't have any problem with overpowering their subwoofers if they are properly matched (in specs) to the amp they are hooked up to. Even though i don't believe you know what i am talking about, i just want to point that out in case somehow i am wrong. But i doubt it.

just curious steve as i don't own a DD-1 yet. (hopefully getting some money soon) if i'm thinking about this correctly 0db on the DD-1 would be less strain, for lack of a better word, than say -3 or -5 db? as in with the -3db you would actually be turning the gain up more as to account for the lower audio signal? is this correct? Im sure it says it in the manual but i am just wondering if i'm thinking of this the right way?

Thanks

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

yes

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

just curious steve as i don't own a DD-1 yet. (hopefully getting some money soon) if i'm thinking about this correctly 0db on the DD-1 would be less strain, for lack of a better word, than say -3 or -5 db? as in with the -3db you would actually be turning the gain up more as to account for the lower audio signal? is this correct? Im sure it says it in the manual but i am just wondering if i'm thinking of this the right way?

Thanks

0dB (the way Steve explained... which assumes your equipment is correctly matched and gives you honest power ratings) should make things retard proof. -3 or -5 (or more) would leave you enough volume knob for tracks with lower record levels and you'd be ultimately relying on your senses to tell you when you're over-driving things. At the end of the day, you can either make it retard proof and leave potentially 50-75% of your power on the table, or just rely on the ear-o-meter to tell you when you're at limits.

OP definitely did not set gains with DD1 and 0dB tones..

sweet! thanks!

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Yes I do own a DD 1, and the gains are set on point. When said set it on zero I meant I set my amp using the -0dB.