Mechman Alternators

The Highest Output Alternator is Not Always the Best Option!!!

The highest amp alternator available may not always be the best option!

This doesn't make sense for a company to sell you a smaller alt from a $ and cents point, but from a performance and customer satisfaction stand point it makes all the sense in the world to sell you what you need and not what you think you want.

All of this depends on the application. Selling over a 150 or 170amp (at the very most) alt to someone with a Vbelt set up is not going to work the way it should. Selling a high amp alt to an application with crappy belt wrap isn't going to work the way it should.

If a company sells you a $800 500amp alt that doesn't do crap at idle (where you need the power the most), then you really just bought something that is not going to do you any good. The alt needs to make decent power at idle, because that is where you will most likely be using the alt the most. Hitting peak power above 3500 RPM doesn't do you any good, because no one drives above 3500 RPM consistently. In most application a good 250amp alt will give you better performance than a 400amp+ alt.

You need to know what the alt does at idle, and you need to know how much belt wrap you have on the alternator pulley. This is where Mechman's experience pays off to put you in the best alternator for your application.

Here is the basics on belt slip.

10548160_685667621522046_829391749730337

Not everyone needs a alt to put out at idle. Just a fyi.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Not everyone needs a alt to put out at idle. Just a fyi.

I would have to say i agree with this statement as well as some the op said. All applications are different. At finals last year i seen something that blew my mind from an alternator standpoint. I had just had a talk with mike singer in regards to my car and alt and such. After talking with him a guy i know asked me to come get a demo of his car and he would prove what singer said to be true.

This guys vehicle didn't do shit at idle.. I don't even think it was charging.. but when he started to put a load on the vehicle and rev'ed to 2k his voltage CLIMBED !

I seen 12.2 then 12.9 then 13.4 then 14 then 14.8.. Shit was climbing the more he got on it.

Now would that work in my application.. hell no.. because after i get hammered i don't even know where the gas pedal is to rev the motor but all applications are different.. and now that i think about it i thats exactly what you were saying in the beginning so i have no clue why in the hell i went off on this rant.. shit i need more coffee.. disregard everything that i just said.

:ninja:

• Like (+1 Rep) 14

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

Thats why I always recommend the Elite. Both of mine that I have had on two different vehicles are monsters at idle.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

I have a 2000 f150 and wanted the 270A unit from mechman. Called them and they told me that would be bad for my truck due to the limited belt wrap on the 4.6l/5.4l engines from ford at that time period. They said they've had way less issues with the 240A unit. Saved me $100 and probably a mountain of issues.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Thats why I always recommend the Elite. Both of mine that I have had on two different vehicles are monsters at idle.

any hairpin alternator will be a monster at idle. thats what they are designed to do.

thats why i will run nothing but hairpins.

my old alt did not idle at all. (350A alt on a 4 cylinder 2.2 liter). i didnt realize how much i hated it until i went to a 240A hairpin. the new lower rated alt gives more power at idle than my old larger one and almost the same peak.

one thing id like to point out for everyone is to confirm from the company if you are buying a cold peak rated alternator or a hot rated alternator. Most companies that we all know and love rate their alts with a cold peak rating. A few tests I have done on multiple of these alts show thier true colors hot are not so nice.

so that is why the 240A that i got turned out to be overall better than the 350 I had since the 240 was hot rated adn 350 was cold rated.

my .02!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick