Sonic Electronix

need advice please 4th order?

Started out with a single kicker cvr 15 powered at 500 rms from a pioneer 8601 amp in a slot ported ground shaker box.

It wasn't enough.

Moved up to a dc lvl 3 15 in a slot ported box tuned around 32 Hz on a pioneer 9601 @ 1200rms

It was louder, but still... Not enough...

Just to see what it would sound like.

I put both the DC (dvc2ohm) and the kicker (dvc4ohm) on the amp @ 0.8ohm load.

Both subs were in separate boxes.

I didn't think the amp would hold it but it played fine for several minutes til I got scared about the voltage drop and didn't wana chance it any longer.

It SLAMMED and was surprisingly clean and deep.

That moved enough air for me and was loud enough. But... Still, not enough. It wasn't deep enough. Couldn't feel it in my chest like I'd like to.

I have always favored 12's but have never had an suv this big. It was always a small car or ext cab s10.

I was completely satisfied with 2 kicker cvr 12's on the 8601 at 800watts rms in the s10.

I'm thinking of purchasing 2 NVX VCW12D4's

And the hifonics x2200.1 amp

And building a 4th order box

Does anyone think this will give me what I'm looking for?

Going in a 02 yukon

I think a properly designed box will give you want you want. I have had 2 10's on less than 100 watts to get it to feel in your chest and throat. I would tell you, don't attempt a 4th order unless someone gives you a design. The fact you said you ran both the subs together, shows me you are not ready for something like a designing a 4th order.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

idk sounds like he's willing to experiment with setups just to see what happens... a good quality for finding the perfect fourth order build.

now if he had said he made his sealed box ported by cutting a hole in it... I'd have to agree ;)

lol a buddy of mine did that to a prefab best buy box with a pair of cvx 10's in it back in high school. Still one of the worst sounding setups I've ver heard lol.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

i literally hooked them together for "shits n giggles"

sounded good and moved plenty of air but just wasn't deep enough for me.

i've built several boxes in the past. just recently got into tuning them as i did for the lvl 3 15.

from what reading i have done, the 4th order is just a sealed box inside a ported box.

correct me if im wrong....

here is what i have come up with on the 4th order..

2.5 cu ft on the sealed box

5 cu. ft for the ported side tuned at or around 50hz

this thing is huge...

4thorder.jpg

Not to thread jack, but also curious.

It seams that designing a fourth, at least on a basic level, you would start with the recommended enclosure for a sealed enclosure for a given sub, double the volume for the ported part (no sub displacement for the ported section, unless the sub's basket was in the ported section, mostly I see them inthe sealed section), port size/area based on sub's rec, and port length tuned high for the top of the passband.

Never designed a 4th, but I've always been curious about them, and willing to give it a go on my own to see how it turns out. Is the above completely off base, or is that the gist of it?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Not to thread jack, but also curious.

It seams that designing a fourth, at least on a basic level, you would start with the recommended enclosure for a sealed enclosure for a given sub, double the volume for the ported part (no sub displacement for the ported section, unless the sub's basket was in the ported section, mostly I see them inthe sealed section), port size/area based on sub's rec, and port length tuned high for the top of the passband.

Never designed a 4th, but I've always been curious about them, and willing to give it a go on my own to see how it turns out. Is the above completely off base, or is that the gist of it?

that is what i take from most of my research...

You build the sealed section, then you use a 1:2 or higher ratio to build the ported section. The perfect tuning frequency for the port, is the resonant frequency of the sealed section. As far as port area, I do not know much about that, but I hear they like a lot of it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You build the sealed section, then you use a 1:2 or higher ratio to build the ported section. The perfect tuning frequency for the port, is the resonant frequency of the sealed section. As far as port area, I do not know much about that, but I hear they like a lot of it.

more thread jacking while we are on the subject. How do you find the resonant frequency of the sealed section?

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Archived