Admit your jankiest/most ghetto ass audio adventures...

in my moms buick century that I was driving...I installed a nice alpine deck...but in the buick its not deep enough to house a single din deck. So instead of cutting the thing up and recessing the headunit back into the dash, I doubled up zip ties to hold it in place, I called it a "tensioning system".

it stuck out a solid two inches from the stock location. Oh and that awesome car (shit for audio though) had 4x6s. Owning a pair of alpine 4x6s taught me to hate oval speakers.

My first "system" was a mtx dual 12" truck speaker box that I ran off of not just deck power, but factory deck power, lol. I didn't even have a long enough speaker wire to run from the front of the car to the back so I had the wires just twisted together in the front so I could easily detach them to actually get in the car. Smh I have come such a long way!

Awesome stories! My very first amp (a craig I believe) had a toggle switch for the remote turn on lead. Keep the stories coming!

Same here. I had a cheap JVC deck that had RCA's, but oddly enough didn't have a remote wire (yeah, still trying to figure that one out), so I tapped a wire off the cigarette lighter with a switch for the sub amp. The amp for the subs was a Jensen AB two channel (think it was like 100x2 at 4 ohms) and I had no freaking idea what I was doing with setting gains so I turned it up way too high and burned down at least two subs a year (Rockford Fosgate P2's, at least they were decent). Subs were in prefab sealed enclosures, and when they weren't loud enough I bought port tubes and "ported" the prefab sealed enclosures with 6" long 3" ports. Yes, I now realize how incredibly stupid all that was, but I was 17-18 and knew nothing. At least my wiring was bulletproof and I didn't burn down my car.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

When I was 15 i lived in a trailer park. Lived with my dad after a nasty divorce so we were pretty broke and I was clueless about most everything. Music was a nice escape. I had a pair of pyramid phase III 4x10 speakers mounted into the air ducts in the floor running off of my cheap ass stereo in my room. Bass for days!!

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Hooked up a pair of no-name 10s off the wires for the 6x9s in the back of a 90s Dodge Caravan...stock head unit with those could make the mirrors shake a good bit.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

I once took home audio speakers and wrapped the speaker wire from it to the lead wires of my stock 6x9s. They were loud but it was extremely ghetto lol. I used to work outside and we would run music through those speakers on the outside of my truck lol. Usually we set them on my roof... I was young, stupid, and cheap.

Kid brought a jeep to automotive to hook his sub up, he brought lamp cord for speaker wire and his radio didn't have a turn on wire, so he brought a light switch and we wired it straight to the battery. The box he'd built for the sub(a dual 12) was made of particle board and he caulked the sub to keep it in.Amp was some giant boss 4 channel of which only 1 worked. Worst install ever :(

edit. he had one of those cheap horn tweeters with the tweet removed for a port. rednecks, that is all

Archived