DD amps and subs....and some GZ subs

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

Soundqubed now. Back in the day (late 80's early 90's) it was Kicker and Kenwood. Kicker was the big boy then and they only had subs and components. My HU and amps were all Kenwood. Now I have a Sony HU and everything else is Soundqubed.

Edited by oldschoolaudio

Rockford is the only brand that has yet to disappoint me.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

I've had Rockford Fosgate subwoofers, amplifiers, and processors in my personal vehicles longer than any other. [This is somewhat a freak of nature as I hated competing against RF in my early years in car audio. To say that I was anti-RF would be putting it lightly. Then one day, I came to my senses and thought - "You know, if I brought RF into my shop and put as much effort into selling it as I do selling against it, our amplifier sales would double." I was wrong. Our first year as a Rockford Fosgate dealer, our amplifier sales quadrupled. Ultimately, that led to close ties with RF (beginning with my befriending Wayne Harris through his Bulletin Board community called "Wayne's World" - think pre termpro.com! Ken Koga, Magnus, Shadowstar, Wayne . . . wow, that was a LONG time ago!) That one decision ultimately led to a career in sales with Rockford, first as a sales rep for the rep firm in Texas and then I joined Rockford as a sales manager in 2002 after nearly 3 years as their rep in North Texas and Oklahoma. I left Rockford in 2008.]

Do I have a favorite? Not today, but here they were in order:

1983-1985 - Pioneer & Jensen - Great cassette decks and 6x9" speakers (BITD, all we ran were 6x9s . . . )

1986-1988 - Sunkyong, Cerwin Vega & Pyle Driver - I ran Sunkyong amps, CV woofers, and Pyle Driver 6x9s (6940s had 40 oz magnets and were biampable!) [incidentally, Pyle Driver sponsored American Bandstand back then and had a pretty big following . . . ]

1989-1990 - HiFonics - I had a Europa, Isis, and Pegasus - all series VII

1990-1991 - Autotek & Kicker (took a job at a competitive dealer, we picked up Autotek a few weeks later due to my fondness with HiFonics)

1991-1994 - Phoenix Gold & Kicker (fired from above dealer . . . new dealer in a new state . . . )

1994-1997 - Kicker & Rockford Fosgate (yep, another dealer - this one I managed the store)

2001-2008 - Rockford Fosgate

Kicker is another one of those brands that has an incredible success story. When I was in high school, think 1985, one of the guys in my class had a box behind the seat of his Chevy pickup truck. It had a pair of 6.5" woofers firing forward, a pair of piezo tweeters firing up and a 10" passive radiator mounted between the woofers. That was what Kicker sold then and there was nothing like it. Man, that box rocked with like 100 watts per channel. it would be several years before Kicker began selling raw drivers at which the referred to as "Separates." Every single dealer I worked for was a Kicker dealer and we sold a ton of it. I love my HX2 18s but lemme' tell you the original C18s, and the ones that followed with the stiched surround, were an insanely good subwoofer. We did systems with 2, 4, and even 8 of them over the years. A customer had (4) C18s in a sealed enclosure on a flat wall in an Iroc-Z with T-Tops all powered by a single Linear Power 5002 amplifier. To date, i'm not sure I've heard (4) 18s sound better. Louder, heck yes . . .

So much has changed but so much has also stayed the same. I watched from afar as so many up and comers have come to the market with new and exciting products. Heck, I watched Steve Meade make a name for himself for 3 or 4 years before starting SMD! Some of the folks heading these companies certainly have what it takes to grow their brands into the next 800 pound gorilla. Obviously, a few of the big guys have proven they have what it takes to still be your favorite brand after being the favorite brand of at least a few generations before you.

Do your part and help your favorite brand get better penetration - be their advocate 24/7 and help get the word out there for them!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

^^

That last paragraph, that's what it's about. Competing is fun and all but a loyal customer that supports their favorite brands fully are the ones that are true fanatics. Those are the people that help push this hobby further. It helps the company you support to have that she they need to keep them pushing.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Kicker is another one of those brands that has an incredible success story. When I was in high school, think 1985, one of the guys in my class had a box behind the seat of his Chevy pickup truck. It had a pair of 6.5" woofers firing forward, a pair of piezo tweeters firing up and a 10" passive radiator mounted between the woofers. That was what Kicker sold then and there was nothing like it. Man, that box rocked with like 100 watts per channel. it would be several years before Kicker began selling raw drivers at which the referred to as "Separates." Every single dealer I worked for was a Kicker dealer and we sold a ton of it. I love my HX2 18s but lemme' tell you the original C18s, and the ones that followed with the stiched surround, were an insanely good subwoofer. We did systems with 2, 4, and even 8 of them over the years. A customer had (4) C18s in a sealed enclosure on a flat wall in an Iroc-Z with T-Tops all powered by a single Linear Power 5002 amplifier. To date, i'm not sure I've heard (4) 18s sound better. Louder, heck yes . . .

!

Man, this post brings back memories.

Kicker made those big bass boxes and Blues CA (2 different companies) came out with those trisoberic enclosures ... Those those things beat the blocks down.

Yes ... Original Ground Pounders !!!

Yea, I can't tell you how many drivers at one time I've run on my Liner Power 5002iq ... White Lightning started out with 4 15s sealed on that same 5002. Sorry, no pics.

I think is was more of a challenge to see just how many 15s one could stuff in a single vehicle. Back then is wasn't about numbers ... But watching a vehicle literally pushing a windshield slam out of it rubber surround without breaking the window ... That took POWER !!!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch