Sundown Audio

Sundown New Platform SPL Parts (Cone/Surround & Spiders)

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/166968-sundown-new-platform-spl-parts-production-started.html

Originally posted back in March on CACO when I started testing.

A better name for the new surround is "Standard Roll" as it certainly isn't just for SPL -- we'll likely start calling it that instead to avoid confusion :)

Either way -- they are now fully in stock and can be ordered on new X, Z v.4, NS v.3, and TEAM drivers and also on re-cones for any of these drivers (TEAM already uses it's own spider; so those aren't compatible with the TEAM).

--------------------

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember -- or you may not remember -- that I have been planning SPL parts for the new "platform" all along. I have had them designed for some time but I had to get at least a somewhat solid footing with the "stock" models before going down this road as well -- after all; the stock woofers really show off the platforms ability to move like crazy and dig down deep into the low frequencies.

That being said -- lets re-introduce the SPL parts. They can be used on the X, Z v.4, NS v.3, or any other driver built with our new frames.

-----

1) New heavy duty "stackable" SPL spiders... same material and similar geometry to the NS v.1 / v.2 spiders but available in all of the new larger sizes. There are several advantages to these for SPL applications.

* They are lighter. The spider "packs" on stock woofers require more layers for a givens stiffness and the layers are all permanently adhered together over their entire surface area with a flexible adhesive. The extra spider material and the adhesive both have mass.

* They are more consistent over time and temperature range in terms of their stiffness. The "packs" can change FS a bit based on heat or cold as the bonding adhesive will loosen up or stiffen based on temperature.

* They tighten up more over stroke. This leads to the desirable climb in FS over stroke for SPL applications. It also gives a more "traditional" sound for those that may not like the ultra linear sound of the new drivers.

* There is more adjust-ability as we can stack however many or however few you want.

-----

2) New cone bodies impregnated with more fiberglass for additional strength (minimal mass difference) combined with much smaller "high profile" surrounds. So they are a bit stronger; which all of the new cones are already geometrically very strong due to how deep they are anyway.

The BIGGEST difference is that our massive surrounds are heavy -- they are the single heaviest part in our moving assembly. So these surrounds will shave off MMS to get your FS up.

The secondary difference is that this profile is a little less linear -- it is based on the Z v.3 18" surround shape; this shape tightens more over stroke than a normal half-roll or even our "mega-roll" surrounds. In SPL this extra tightening helps raise FS over stroke. In our Terra the Z v.3 cone/surround was always MUCH louder than a half-roll due to this fact.

As mentioned with the spiders... this surround will lend itself to a more "traditional" sound as well -- making the new platform drivers sound more like a Z v.3 or other driver in that class.

These are obviously not capable of FULLY utilizing our new frames full capacity but using my conservative calculations they are good for anywhere from 3 to 3.5" p-p reliably depending on the size. They are still pretty big surrounds so they can work reliably with the big spider packs just not as dramatic as our "mega roll" surrounds.

Z v.3 18" surround is 26mm x 25mm -- which most people are familiar with and it's a very capable design.

New SPL 10" = 30mm x 28.85mm

New SPL 12" = 33mm x 31.75mm

New SPL 15" = 35mm x 33.5mm

New SPL 18" = 35mm x 33.5mm

The 15" and 18" offer the same surround size just like the "mega rolls" since they use the same spider size.

-----

So basically we are going to shift the response upward in static T/S terms by reducing mass and increasing stiffness -- and also shift it upwards even further over stroke by using parts that tighten up more as they get moving.

You can also choose to use the SPL Cone with standard spiders... or the SPL spiders with the standard "mega roll" cones as well. So many options!

--------------------

10_inch.jpg

** 10 Inch SPL Roll vs. Mega-Roll

12_inch.jpg

** 12 Inch SPL Roll vs. Mega-Roll

15_inch.jpg

** 15 Inch SPL Roll vs. Mega-Roll

18_inch.jpg

** 18 Inch SPL Roll vs. Mega-Roll

10272508_647773221944819_606225675833377

10369051_647773268611481_614614684303375

1149370_529065880482221_1191271734_o.jpg

** "SPL" Spiders -- these are like extra large NS v.1/v.2 Spiders

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the noob question but does the mega roll take away cone area? It looks like it has less area but it may just be because the surround is so huge! Thanks

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Sorry for the noob question but does the mega roll take away cone area? It looks like it has less area but it may just be because the surround is so huge! Thanks

A little -- about 10% compared to a very average surround like a Z v.3 series.

This translates to about 0.3dB -- which if you are utilizing even a small amount of the additional stroke allowed by the surround is moot.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg