Do I need a H/O alt??

Right now I am running a SQ2200 (sub) and a MB Quart 800.4 (mids/highs) off of a stock 120 amp alternator. I have the Big 3 done with 1/0 and a XS Power D3400 up front. I was looking at 220 amp alts and was wondering if it would make a difference with my system. TIA

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Have a few questions:

What impedance are you running to your amps?

What makes you think you need a better alternator?

Just curious. With your big 3 upgrade, did you ground your alternator to your battery?

Considering your cars probly using half the amps the alt makes it never hurts to have reserve power on hand. Alts run about $400ish and then an extra battery and your system will shine. Amps will have all the power they need to make power and system might sound better, amp life last longer, ect. I would if it was my set up.

Have a few questions:

What impedance are you running to your amps?

What makes you think you need a better alternator?

Just curious. With your big 3 upgrade, did you ground your alternator to your battery?

My amp is running at 1 ohm (or .7) and going by VxA=W my 120amp at 14.4v would be around 1700 watts which is less than my 2200 watt amp. No. the alt is grounded to the engine block which is then grounded to both the chassis and battery.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

You should ground your alternator directly to the battery, it helps. Since the alternator's negative current has to go through the engine block to get to the battery. I just switched my chassis ground to my alternator and it helped a ton.

If your running that much power, then yeah... You will want a high output alternator.

I checked out your build log and you have done a ton of work to your system upgrading everything(more than once like most of us do) and I would have figured you would have thought to spend the extra coin to get a HO alt a while back.

System and work looks great, Contact Singer for a quote! Happy as hell I got mine from him. 200+ alt and I am running 3k off it and extra Batts. voltage holds way strong!

You should ground your alternator directly to the battery, it helps. Since the alternator's negative current has to go through the engine block to get to the battery. I just switched my chassis ground to my alternator and it helped a ton.

If your running that much power, then yeah... You will want a high output alternator.

You should have both grounds not one or the other.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Your system will only get better with more electrical upgrades...so yeah get a bigger alternator.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived