join with help building a 1000 dollar budget gaming pc

I build gaming PC's for customers locally, to help pay for my car audio addiction, lol. A few questions, what games in particular are you going to play, and do you need a monitor? Or is this just a tower build?

For a tower....

Start with your CPU/motherboard combo, to see whether you are using an AMD or Intel platform. AMD are cheaper and perform equally for much less money than Intel.You can pick up a higher end AMD FX 8 core CPU for as low as $140 (FX-8320). Be sure to purchase one with a Vishera core. A good corresponding motherboard would be around $70, just as long as it's a 970/990 chipset and AM3+ socket, with SATA 6Gb/s capability. For a graphics card, most Radeon R9 series would be good, depending on which games you are running. If you want to build it and not worry what game you can run, get a Radeon R9-290 graphics card, by Sapphire. They are like $300. For memory, 16GB of DDR3-1600, CAS latency 9. You can get 16GB of G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1600 gaming ram for around $150. Hard drive, I would strongly recommend going with a Solid State Drive (SSD). You can get a Crucial MX100, 128GB for around $75, then add a larger, physical drive for file storage. A good 1TB is only like $60. So you're at like $800. A case with good airflow can be had for as little as $60, leaving you $140 for a power supply, DVD drive and software. If it were me, I would spend that $200 you have left on a good case, cheap DVD drive and power supply over 600w. Then get a copy of Windows for free, either a evaluation copy of Windows 9 that will be available soon, or a copy of Windows 8/7 off a torrent site, etc.

lol.. I'd build my Gaming computer like 3 to 4 years ago. I got 16gb of ram on mine. That was the max back then for AMD. I've only use about 6 to 7 gigs, but I like to have headroom. I'm a big fan of AMD, eVGA Nvidia and Corsair. Everything on my build is nothing but AMD CPU, Nvidia(eVGA), and Corsair.

My rig.

AMD Phenom II 975BE 3.6Ghz O/C to 4.1Ghz

Corsair H60 water cooler

16GB DDR3(1600mhz) Corsair Vengeance

eVGA GTX460

2x 60GB Corsair F60 SATA II SSD (RAID 0 @ 450Mb/s)

4x 1.0TB Western Digital HDD(JBOD)

Samsung Blu-Ray ROM/DVD-rw

NVX LCD fan control

MSI NF980G65 mobo

Cosair TX750m PSU

Corsair Obsidian 800D case.

That's a gaming PC, capable of playing any game out there, for $1000, assuming you have a monitor or LCD/LED TV. If you want some model specifics that I would recommend, let me know. Hope this helps!

My only question with all of this is why anyone would need anything over 8-12 gigs of RAM, is it just to have? I've never went above the usage of 5.5 Gigs of RAM at once ever before and I was trying to use a bunch for fun. This is a honest question so I can learn more man. I agree with the AMD statement! :) also I've never had any experience with Radeon outside of integrated crappy laptop GPUs, only Geforce but I hear good things about radeon. You know your stuff sir!

The newer Samsung 850 PRO SSD uses up to 4GB of RAM for buffering. Also a lot of these newer games are not really optimized very well, so they can utilize a lot of RAM. At this point you can get use out of 16GB of RAM depending on your build and resolution you are running.

The newer Samsung 850 PRO SSD uses up to 4GB of RAM for buffering. Also a lot of these newer games are not really optimized very well, so they can utilize a lot of RAM. At this point you can get use out of 16GB of RAM depending on your build and resolution you are running.

If you are using 16GB you need to close some browser tabs. Unless you are trying to write an absolute assload to the SSD it won't be using 4GB. Games won't be using much RAM at all, and resolution changes VRAM usage not system RAM usage.

I use 8GB, never used more than about 6 even when I'm multitasking heavily.

I build gaming PC's for customers locally, to help pay for my car audio addiction, lol. A few questions, what games in particular are you going to play, and do you need a monitor? Or is this just a tower build?

For a tower....

Start with your CPU/motherboard combo, to see whether you are using an AMD or Intel platform. AMD are cheaper and perform equally for much less money than Intel.You can pick up a higher end AMD FX 8 core CPU for as low as $140 (FX-8320). Be sure to purchase one with a Vishera core. A good corresponding motherboard would be around $70, just as long as it's a 970/990 chipset and AM3+ socket, with SATA 6Gb/s capability. For a graphics card, most Radeon R9 series would be good, depending on which games you are running. If you want to build it and not worry what game you can run, get a Radeon R9-290 graphics card, by Sapphire. They are like $300. For memory, 16GB of DDR3-1600, CAS latency 9. You can get 16GB of G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1600 gaming ram for around $150. Hard drive, I would strongly recommend going with a Solid State Drive (SSD). You can get a Crucial MX100, 128GB for around $75, then add a larger, physical drive for file storage. A good 1TB is only like $60. So you're at like $800. A case with good airflow can be had for as little as $60, leaving you $140 for a power supply, DVD drive and software. If it were me, I would spend that $200 you have left on a good case, cheap DVD drive and power supply over 600w. Then get a copy of Windows for free, either a evaluation copy of Windows 9 that will be available soon, or a copy of Windows 8/7 off a torrent site, etc.

lol.. I'd build my Gaming computer like 3 to 4 years ago. I got 16gb of ram on mine. That was the max back then for AMD. I've only use about 6 to 7 gigs, but I like to have headroom. I'm a big fan of AMD, eVGA Nvidia and Corsair. Everything on my build is nothing but AMD CPU, Nvidia(eVGA), and Corsair.

My rig.

AMD Phenom II 975BE 3.6Ghz O/C to 4.1Ghz

Corsair H60 water cooler

16GB DDR3(1600mhz) Corsair Vengeance

eVGA GTX460

2x 60GB Corsair F60 SATA II SSD (RAID 0 @ 450Mb/s)

4x 1.0TB Western Digital HDD(JBOD)

Samsung Blu-Ray ROM/DVD-rw

NVX LCD fan control

MSI NF980G65 mobo

Cosair TX750m PSU

Corsair Obsidian 800D case.

That's a gaming PC, capable of playing any game out there, for $1000, assuming you have a monitor or LCD/LED TV. If you want some model specifics that I would recommend, let me know. Hope this helps!

My only question with all of this is why anyone would need anything over 8-12 gigs of RAM, is it just to have? I've never went above the usage of 5.5 Gigs of RAM at once ever before and I was trying to use a bunch for fun. This is a honest question so I can learn more man. I agree with the AMD statement! :) also I've never had any experience with Radeon outside of integrated crappy laptop GPUs, only Geforce but I hear good things about radeon. You know your stuff sir!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rbPRqs

$1000 build with an i5 and a 970. No need for AMD.

If you are using 16GB you need to close some browser tabs. Unless you are trying to write an absolute assload to the SSD it won't be using 4GB. Games won't be using much RAM at all, and resolution changes VRAM usage not system RAM usage.

8GB should be enough for most gaming machines but when users are recording gameplay or streaming and have background programs open like Skype, Chrome, and others then it's not difficult to use up 8GB of RAM. I have 16GB in my desktop and while I rarely use more than half of it there are times where I find myself pushing 12GB+ of used memory.

At a minimum I usually suggest 8GB unless someone is on a really tight budget (less than $600-ish). The best option for buyers on a budget is to leave slots open for future expansion. I see too many people fill all the slots with 2GB or 4GB sticks and then have to toss the memory later because they want to get more RAM and need to replace the existing sticks. You're better off buying a single 8GB stick and leaving a slot open for future expansion than buying two 4GB sticks and not leaving open slots. This is less of an issue on boards with 4 slots but still applies.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

You are mistaken. Higher resolutions do effect RAM usage levels on the desktop. I'm not talking about just games. You also must not know much about superfetch/prefetch either. Windows will utilize all of the RAM you give it unless you turn off those features.

Archived