Second Skin Audio

Dc Level 4 m2 with hifonics 2400.1d ( BRX)

Ok guys I have the amp and sub as stated above. I am curious I have this wired down to .5 ohms and seems to be hitting really hard on 3/4 gain. Not sure is I am hurting the sub or amp. I had it at 2 ohms but I didn't sound any different than my kicker 1000.1 and according to a clamp test I was only getting like 700 watts out of the amp at 2 ohms and it is rated for 1600. What do you guys think I should do? rewire the sub back to 2 ohms or leave it at .5 and cut the gain back some more or just keep beating on it. On another note I am getting an odd smell not sure if it is the voice coil or the box. Speaker is just over month old and was being used on the kicker 1000.1 for the whole month at about 900 watts according to clamp test so I am sure it is broken in by now. I am also running a 1.8 cubic foot bot tuned at 40 hz its a audio enhancer bought the same time the speaker was put in. I would do a custom box but don't really have too much more space since I have a little car.

Wiring is all 0 gauge NVX and XS power OFC. Holding between 13.5 and 14.8 volts at the amp so I don't think power is the issue. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and any .02.

Current equipment:

2 Dc Audio Level 4 12's

Dc Audio 5.0k

Alpine Type r components 5.25 and 5.25 Co ax

1 Hifonics brx 640.4 for highs and mids

Regular battery and 2 D3400

ALL OF THIS IN A 2009 AVEO 5

AKA THE SMURF TURD

I was thinking about bringing it back up to 2 ohms cause it is is a DVC 1 ohm sub so I cant get to 1 ohm I get either 2 ohm or .5 at the amp im at .8. And yes I am at 3/4 on the gain and I did another clamp test just now and I was getting 46.5 volts and 26.5 amp on the positive speaker wire. That is only like 1225 watts I should definitely be getting a lot better than that imo.

Current equipment:

2 Dc Audio Level 4 12's

Dc Audio 5.0k

AKA THE SMURF TURD

I brought it up to 3/4 just out of distortion. When I heard the distortion I back it off until I could not hear it anymore. I didn't just set it at 3/4 just because. The thing that I am not getting is the wattage out of the amp at 2 ohm but I plan on taking it back to 2 ohms. I am trying to find out how to get the wattage out of the amp that I am supposed before I trying to taking it back due to a issue.

Current equipment:

2 Dc Audio Level 4 12's

Dc Audio 5.0k

AKA THE SMURF TURD

Engage your subsonic filter to 28Hz, go to 2 ohm and set your gains with a tool, like the DD-1, if you want to push the sub to it's limits better go with an amplifier that's stable to 0.5 ohm and handles the power the sub can take, right now likely something is going to toast soon, I would just sell that amp now that is working right and get something proper. I would also get either a DD-1 or a cheap pc based scope (which should do the job at low frequencies), to set gains, either can show you if you are clipping which is what usually causes the issues you have.

I took it back up to 2 ohms and set the gain with a DMM not sure if that is anywhere near correct but it is what I have read and learned how to do it. I plan on getting the dd1 soon. Any amp recommendations that is .5 ohm stable that will push that sub the way it should be pushed?

Current equipment:

2 Dc Audio Level 4 12's

Dc Audio 5.0k

AKA THE SMURF TURD

also the gain is set at 61.4 volts out of the speaker connections at 2.4 ohms. That should put it at about 1600 watts at 2 ohms. Havent tested it yet but will real soon

Current equipment:

2 Dc Audio Level 4 12's

Dc Audio 5.0k

AKA THE SMURF TURD

Due to impedance rise its impossible to get the rated power at a given ohm load. Last clamp test I did I clamped only 1700w from a 3500w amp lol. So your best bet is to get an amp that puts out around 1500w at around 4 ohms or so. So that even when rise comes in to play your sub will reach its potential. Only problem with this method is you can't predict how much rise will be there but setting gains right (o-scope or dd-1) and monitoring for any coil smells would help.. Running at .5 normally isn't recommended but most top brand amps can run at .5 with good electrical

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

I took it back up to 2 ohms and set the gain with a DMM not sure if that is anywhere near correct but it is what I have read and learned how to do it. I plan on getting the dd1 soon. Any amp recommendations that is .5 ohm stable that will push that sub the way it should be pushed?

Personally, i'd look into a Hifonics Atlas or Alpine MRX-M240 and run it at 2 OHM. As for a .5OHM amp, the Crescendo BC2000

http://store.crescendoaudio.com/bc2000d/

Or you could just get a DC 2K amp.

Archived