Second Skin Audio

New Alpine SWR-12D2 Box Design.

After designing 2 different slot ported boxes for my Type R's, I have trashed the ideas of a slot port after reading about Aeroports. I have designed another box on Torres and believe this is the best one, and the one I'm going to stick with, just looking for a second opinion or any suggestions!

Measurements are just for one half, I will mirror it for the other side/sub.

Subwoofer Specs:

Alpine SWR-12D2

12"

Dual 2 ohm (wired parallel to 1 ohm)

1000 RMS

3000 Peak

Amp Specs:

Pioneer GM-D8601

Class D

Mono

800 RMS @ 1 ohm

1600 Peak @ 1 ohm

Box Specs:

13"H x 24"W x 16"D

Single Port per Chamber

Port Diameter: 4"

Port Length: 13"

Gross Volume: 2.17 Cubic Feet per Chamber

Sub Displacement: .10 Cubic Feet

Port Volume: .11 Cubic Feet

Port Area: 12.56 Cubic Inches

Net Area: 1.96 Cubic Feet

Tuning Frequency: 32.92 Hz

Open to any suggestions! Thanks for any and all help!

-Just trying to make the world a louder place, one decibel at a time...

Not enough port area. If you want to use a 4" diameter port you need to use at least two.

ETA: I forgot you said you are doubling everything since you have two subs, in this case you would need to use at least four 4" ports, and if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to use five. Of course now you will probably run into issues fitting them inside your enclosure.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Not enough port area. If you want to use a 4" diameter port you need to use at least two.

ETA: I forgot you said you are doubling everything since you have two subs, in this case you would need to use at least four 4" ports, and if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to use five. Of course now you will probably run into issues fitting them inside your enclosure.

The enclosure will most likely be a divided chamber, so you would recommend two 4" aeroports per side? When I get home I'll try taking away a little from the width and making the box deeper to accommodate for the two longer ports and I'll post what I have come up with and have you take a look at it and see if it looks better, sound good yeah?

at 2 cubic ft, 1 4" aero port is plenty. I have built several boxes for Alpine and 2 cubic ft with a single 4" aero port.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

The enclosure will most likely be a divided chamber, so you would recommend two 4" aeroports per side? When I get home I'll try taking away a little from the width and making the box deeper to accommodate for the two longer ports and I'll post what I have come up with and have you take a look at it and see if it looks better, sound good yeah?

How much port area you need is also dependent on how much power you are going to be running. If I understand you correctly you have one 800 watt amp per sub? If that is the case I am going to disagree with fastocus00 and say that one 4" port per side will be woefully inadequate, two per side should be fine.

Even if you are only putting 400 watts into each sub your port velocities will be almost 40 m/sec with only one port per side, I don't like to see anything over 30 m/sec and the lower the better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

How much port area you need is also dependent on how much power you are going to be running. If I understand you correctly you have one 800 watt amp per sub? If that is the case I am going to disagree with fastocus00 and say that one 4" port per side will be woefully inadequate, two per side should be fine.

Even if you are only putting 400 watts into each sub your port velocities will be almost 40 m/sec with only one port per side, I don't like to see anything over 30 m/sec and the lower the better.

just curious but how are you coming up with 40m/s with a 4" port that is flared at both ends with 800 watts? even at 1500 watts per sub the PV is still less than 30m/s.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

just curious but how are you coming up with 40m/s with a 4" port that is flared at both ends with 800 watts? even at 1500 watts per sub the PV is still less than 30m/s.

I got that number from WinISD. Since you got such a different result I plugged everything in to Hornresp to double check and make sure I didn't fat-finger something. At 400 watts I got almost exactly the same result, about 40 m/sec at 34 Hz.

What did you use to come up with your number?

Builds:

I can confirm that number (well 40.2 m/s) for 2 cubes net@33Hz 800W single 4" port. Likely not enough for port noise but enough for reduced port output.

OP I really find round ports impractical on 1 or 2 12s, as long as your slot port area is large enough you won't have any performance drawbacks, just a slightly larger box.

Alright all, here's my problem, I was originally going with a slot port but I ran into some problems, I have trouble tuning the box while keeping it in the right net cube, which is one of the reasons I switched to Aeroports. If anyone can help me that would be great. The box needs to be within 1.75 min to 2 max and tuned to 33hz. It will be a divided chamber and will be 48 inches wide. Now if someone could give me the box depth, height, slot width, length, and height while keeping it in the parameters that would be amazing, otherwise I might just stick with the dual aeroport design.

Archived