Sundown Audio

SA-8 v.3 In Development : Getting Close !

Got my first prototypes in for the v.3 revision of the SA-8 -- it took quite a bit of consideration to figure out how to make some improvements to the design but I think we are on the right track :

IMAG1176.jpg

* Newly tooled surround with an improved shape / slightly bigger overall size... this is a new shape I have been testing with for a while that is a bit more linear than the old shape. It allows a small but noticeable amount of extra throw.

IMAG1177.jpg

* We removed the vent ring to reduce the total depth by 10mm -- since this reduces the cooling capability a bit we added gap vents (next photo). I did use appropriately sized drilled vent holes to maintain a degree of pressure in the under-spider cavity to help push air to the gap vents and keep velocity high. I tweaked and tuned the vent hole size on the SD-2 8" model already.

* A second but major benefit is this will help improve QC pass rates by reduced spider to top plate distance; thus reducing the chance for coil tick (fewer yard sale units thus steadier inventory).

* The magnet stack increased to 50mm from 40mm -- and we reduced the back plate from 25mm to 15mm (removed the 10mm bump) to keep overall motor depth the same. A marginal increase in BL will be seen.

* New magnet boot isn't tooled yet but will be for production.

IMAG1178.jpg

* It's a tight fit in this motor due to the thick shorting ring... to get the surface area I wanted I used 16 gap vents @ 2.5mm each as wider vents wouldn't fit between the pole and shorting ring. Also each vent is flared to keep the flow quieter.

----------

There are a few other tweaks to the way the suspension goes together, standard XL leads, and a few other little tricks in the motor that you cannot see -- all in all should be a nice little upgrade to the SA-8 driver.

I still need to tweak the stiffness a bit as it ended up a bit too stiff on the first two prototypes... so that is still under-way. I expect them to come out some time around the end of the 1st quarter next year (so end of March or so). Until then the v.2 will be in full stock and shipping as normal.

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Curious how many of these little improvements are destined for the rest of the SA line. So far, I love my SA12, and I'll likely be a Sundown convert after running one.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Sundown is truly an amazing company. Steady coming out with new products and yet never stop improving the current products. This is why I'm a steady sundown product owner. Nice work jacob its the little things that count.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

I run a Sundown SD-8 in my regular cab Ford Ranger and it is mind blowing what these guys put into a sub. In a .3cube box I get as much bass as I want, and I'm only feeding it 140ish watts from an old RF Punch 40xi. These SA's put out even better than my SD (though not in the tight spaces). Hearing a pair of these getting 300-400 watts each will astound you. 8's should NOT sound like this. Yet they do. I don't care how much more $$ they are than regular 8's, they're worth every extra penny and then some.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Got a weird double post so I'm editing this one.

One of the other things I love about Sundown is just how incredible they are across their whole line. They don't phone it in or cut corners anywhere. Even entry level stuff is built to run long and hard. And they eat up power all day long. Every rating is short of capacity. Under promise and over deliver.

Edited by mrclm
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1