Second Skin Audio

Sundown X15 Box design help

earthlyescape

It's lacking on airspace & port area, not terribly, but isn't ideal for that sub.. Unless your throwing massive amounts of power at it.. Maybe you can sell the sub, and use that as credit towards an X 12? That would simplify the box build to where you can build it around how you want it to sound without all the dimension limitations.. That's just my opinion though, if you can get the x 15 how you want it & your happy with it, that's all that matters to you..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you don't want to do a difficult box to gain airspace I would recommend getting a DC Audio XL 15 on the space you have and the power you intend to use (or any other that works in the power/airspace), that sub have wider bandwidth which you seem to need if you listen to different types of music. For either sub you will need larger port area so you will need to improve that box you posted. The X15 in that space you are working with won't do very well what it's supposed to do which is blast the lows.

Bummer. I really tapped myself out cash wise grabbing this not really knowing much about sundown other than they are great quality. I tried to widen the port but I could not get the tuning dialed in making it any wider. I just don't have enough experience with box design. If you guys know someone that could design a more complex one maybe not cube shaped that would fit I know I could put it together.

You are fluent in Sketchup and that is all you need, the hard part is determining the shape that you can slide in and be large enough which you can do with the cardboard AND building the damn thing if the resulting shape is rather difficult to make.

Thanks that was honestly my first time ever using sketch up definitely was pretty proud of the outcome. Building anything won't be a problem my pops is a carpenter. I just grabbed some more cardboard boxes to do some more testing. Won't be able to try it out for a few hours until I'm off work though. I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Joe X is a great designer on this forum, he's even designed a box for my sa 15s (not built yet but is soon coming, just as he designed.) In your situation like he said or trying an x 12, that still yet.. Compared to the various genres you listed will yield the best results for what you want, with an easier design.. No complicated angles ect.. Save you room for groceries ect and still have what you want sound wise..

15X3.5X your physical port length of 19" is 997.5/1728 which is 0.57 cu ft. Plus the displacement of the port wood itself, 0.12. So 0.69 cu ft of displacement of the port subtracted from the displacement that torres showed gives you an extra 0.08 cu ft net for the sub, so 3.94 cu ft net with a slightly lower tuning. That's what you technically have to work with. Only off by a quarter of a cube practically, no big deal. Build it, it's close enough. If your not worried about it being just absolutely bang on, this will do good enough. The only thing I think it needed was just a little more port area, but I think it'll be alright.

So tores doesn't include port thickness for displacement even thought I have port thickness as .75? I did try crunching total volume number on my own and it was slightly more but ever so slightly not quite as much as you are stating. If I wanted to keep the tuning the same would I just want to add an inch or so to the port length?

Archived