Second Skin Audio

Sundown X15 Box design help

earthlyescape

Help please I am really confused by Sundown's X 15 single box design that they offer on the their website. It says it recommends 4.25 Cubic feet for the X 15 yet the box they show to build to me seems as though it is much smaller than that after displacement. The box that it is currently in won't fit in my trunk. It measures 16.5" tall X 22" Deep X 33" wide. I need to do a cardboard mock up to see what will fit in my trunk. I would like to have it as close to recommended spec as possible. What I don't understand is that Sundown says it needs 4.25 cubic feet, which I have to assume means net not gross, yet the box design they offer for download I calculated to roughly 4.195 Cubic feet gross. This doesn't make any sense, any input would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the box sundown recommends. This will be my first box build ever so I really want to do it right. I have the carpentry knowledge I just have never built a box before. Ideally I would like it to be tuned to 38hz, the X series is already a low note crusher and I was told that If I tuned it higher it would give it more bandwith. Thanks for any feedback. I can get the max dimensions of a box that will fit later on tonight if anyone would be willing to help me out a little bit with the design.

box.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes get the dims of the largest cardboard possible, vehicle and amp.

Will do ASAP. Ending up hitting a concert last night so didn't get it done and I work late the next few nights should be able to by this weekend though. Vehicle is a 2005 Mitsubishi Galant. Amp currently is SAZ-1000d which I plan on upgrading. Needs at least twice as much power. This amp just came with it at a good deal so I snagged it.

Throw the whole thing in WinISD and see what a higher tuning frequency will do to it. It's not perfect (can't account for cancellation via vehicle interior, or cabin gain) but it'll give you an idea. I've found sometimes a specific subwoofer simply likes a certain range, and fooling with the net airspace/tuning frequency doesn't have my desired effect on the bandwidth, just makes things more peaky/kills output. If Sundown is recommending 32hz, I might go a LITTLE higher but 38 is enough of a change it just may not work out the way you want it to.

If you want to tune higher, maybe another Sundown sub like the ZV3/4?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Okay so I did a carboard size test. My max dimensions are 16.5 tall x 32 wide x 18 deep. I am thinking of tuning it more so around 34hz now. Sub displacement is .22 and I want a double baffle. I can get the tuning dialed in but the only problem I am running into is that doing a 3 inch port will only get my 45^2 of port area and it recommends 68. If I try to step up to a 4" port (which seems huge) I can not get the tuning down at all.

Okay so I did a carboard size test. My max dimensions are 16.5 tall x 32 wide x 18 deep. I am thinking of tuning it more so around 34hz now. Sub displacement is .22 and I want a double baffle. I can get the tuning dialed in but the only problem I am running into is that doing a 3 inch port will only get my 45^2 of port area and it recommends 68. If I try to step up to a 4" port (which seems huge) I can not get the tuning down at all.

No way a 3" or even a 4" port is going to be enough for that sub. Think about the Xmax and cone area man, that sub can move a BUNCH of air. The port dimensions (if my math is right) on Sundown's recommended enclosure is 1.75" x 18" = 31.5" square. You need at bare minimum a 6" port if you're stuck on round ports.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

No way a 3" or even a 4" port is going to be enough for that sub. Think about the Xmax and cone area man, that sub can move a BUNCH of air. The port dimensions (if my math is right) on Sundown's recommended enclosure is 1.75" x 18" = 31.5" square. You need at bare minimum a 6" port if you're stuck on round ports.

3 inch slot port, 15 inches tall.

Archived