So right now I'm running my mid and highs off head unit power and I only ever go up to 27 out of 35 on my head unit. If I set my sub amp gains with a dd-1 would I just set it at volume 27 since I don't go over that? ( as long as the head unit doesn't clip at 27)?

Thanks for the input!

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

no... DD-1 tells you directions for finding maximum HU distortion. So follow them. if after that, 27/35 is under the distorted level, and thats still as high as you want to go, then yes, set amplifier gains to that level, but dont go past that

i gotcha. so what did you say no too? cause i asked if 27 wasnt distorted (as checked by DD-1) then i could set my gain at 27. you said no, and then you said i could do exactly what i asked. Not being rude im just very confused right now. haha

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

If you already know the HU doesn't distort at 27, go ahead and set the amp gain with volume 27.

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for haha.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Other than the fact that you won't get full output, there's nothing wrong with gain setting at a lower head unit volume.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Other than the fact that you won't get full output, there's nothing wrong with gain setting at a lower head unit volume.

How will it not get full output? The lower the volume, the more gain will be needed. Overall output from the amp shouldn't be affected.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Personally since your using the HU on board amplifier for your mids and tweets, I would use the DD-1 on the HU amp first, because volume 27 may be distorted (even if you cant hear it).

Just because the deck says its clean on the preouts at the volume, doesnt mean the on board amplifier is....

Once you find the true clean distortion free output of the on board hu amp, than tune your external amplifier for your subs at that volume.

If you already know the HU doesn't distort at 27, go ahead and set the amp gain with volume 27.

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for haha.

In other words,

Someone validated his opinion, now he's off to clip and blame SMDForums.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.