You didn't say you checked HU with DD-1, you just said you only go up to 27 out of 35

I also said right after that in parenthesis AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T CLIP AT 27. Sorry about that. that was my fault i should have been more clear but yes the head unit gains were set with a DD-1 but i dont have my amp yet so i couldnt it tune it right then (and i dont peronally own a DD-1 yet but i got a buddy who does)

Edited by gmoxley1

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

If you already know the HU doesn't distort at 27, go ahead and set the amp gain with volume 27.

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for haha.
In other words,

Someone validated his opinion, now he's off to clip and blame SMDForums.

How could I blame SMD forum for giving me the info I need to set my HU gains correctly? (For mids and highs off the deck) ? and why would it clip at 27 if the DD-1 said that it was clean at 27 ( ON THE SPEAKER OUTS NOT THE RCA'S) ??

Edited by gmoxley1

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Personally since your using the HU on board amplifier for your mids and tweets, I would use the DD-1 on the HU amp first, because volume 27 may be distorted (even if you cant hear it).

Just because the deck says its clean on the preouts at the volume, doesnt mean the on board amplifier is....

Once you find the true clean distortion free output of the on board hu amp, than tune your external amplifier for your subs at that volume.

Thanks! Good info! I guess I should have put it already so others didn't think I was just going off what number I think is not distorted, but I have set my HU with a dd1 using the speaker outputs (not the rca outs) for the mids and highs off the HU. I think someone assumed that I had not first gotten my HU tuned as I was not able to get my amp tuned the same time as my HU because I haven't gotten my amp yet. so now I'm going to tune it as soon as I get it. Edited by gmoxley1

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

In no way shape or form am i trying to be some unknowledgeable butthole so i will gladly say that it was my fault that i didnt say that i used a DD-1 to set HU gains for mids and highs off the HU. 27 IS CLEAN. Im just typing this so no one else assumes that i just turn it up to 27 and assume that im good there because we all know what happens when we assume.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs