4 gauge for 240 amp alt for now?

So I just got a SAZ-1200d and to go along with it (although possibly not needed) i was going to get a high output alternator to keep it going strong even at idle. Now i was going to go ahead and probably get the 240 amp alt from mechman. I know this is obviously more than needed for this amp but in a hobby drivin by upgrades i figure it will give me some room to expand. Now the question is, as of right now my big three is in 4 gauge sky high, is it okay to use a smaller amp fuse than what the alt is rated for (until i get a bigger amp later) since the 1200d only draws ~120 amps?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you going to put the fuse exactly?

And a smaller fuse is always ok, from a safety standpoint. Going bigger is when you have problems. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link.

And is your wire off or cca?

4 ga ofc is rated for 150 amps I think.

Just don't install a fuse rated higher than the wire you have.

What kind of vehicle is this in? What size stock alt? You having dimming issues that are making you do the upgrade?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I would just do it in OFC 1/0 because if u later upgrade u will need to upgrade to 1/0 ofc anyways. Why buy wire twice. Easier to do it once and call it a day.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I would just do it in OFC 1/0 because if u later upgrade u will need to upgrade to 1/0 ofc anyways. Why buy wire twice. Easier to do it once and call it a day.

Reading> you. He said he already did the big three in 4 Guage so he would be buying wire twice.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Sorry read wrong

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

And is your wire off or cca?

4 ga ofc is rated for 150 amps I think.

Just don't install a fuse rated higher than the wire you have.

Fuse was going between alt and battery. And it is OFC. And I got some 150 amp fuses so that would be perfect for the 4ga.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

What kind of vehicle is this in? What size stock alt? You having dimming issues that are making you do the upgrade?

It is a 98 blazer with a 105 amp stock alt. Reason for upgrade is I was driving the other day in the dark with my lights on and my air turned on high (the fan for the A/C or heat) and all of a sudden I had a huge voltage drop from normal 14ish to about 13. It had never done this before so I took it to a buddy to check the alt ( and we checked all connections just in case) and apparently something inside went wrong because under full load now I was only getting ~60 amps or so.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

You're absolutely right. I should have went ahead and did big three in 0. At the time I bought the 4 gauge I thought it will be enough I'm not gonna want to upgrade....that was stupid to think haha of course I'm going to want to upgrade.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Archived