Is this enough power for my setup?

no one is saying to get more batteries and run stock alt. we all agree with new amp and upgraded batteries.. and again they don't have to be XS power batteries. plus current is drawn from the path of least resistance so most likely it will pull most amperage from rear battery and the alt will supply the amperage to keep that battery at the voltage the regulator is set to

2 agm batteries will be more than enough no matter the brand

Very close my friend :)

Current flows through the path of least resistance it isn't drawn from that source. When we talk path of least resistance we are talking about things like deciding "do I ground my rear batteries to the frame or to the front battery" etc.

Voltage is supplied first by the source with the greatest voltage. A component in your electrical system will not contribute in a favorable manner until voltage is at or below it's own.

This isnt realistic, but just to paint a picture, vision this......

- An amp that has a safe operating range of 12 - 16 V

- You have a 12V battery with huge storage capacity, lets say a D7500 12 inches away from the amp connected with 2/0 wire

- Also connected to the amp you have 20 feet of 1/0 wire with 2 of those batteries connected in series so here you have a 24V power source, which is above the amps safe operating voltage

Now, which power source has the path of least resistance to the amp? The single 12V battery right? So, do you think the amp is safe because it is harder for the 24V to get to the amp? Your logic suggests so.

OP, in your case, save your money for a 2nd battery, buy a good alternator and you're golden.

always match the batterys..... you could get away without it..... i'm a keen believer in overkill for all my electrical. cant hurt having the extra batt in there

Yes it can

no one is saying to get more batteries and run stock alt. we all agree with new amp and upgraded batteries.. and again they don't have to be XS power batteries. plus current is drawn from the path of least resistance so most likely it will pull most amperage from rear battery and the alt will supply the amperage to keep that battery at the voltage the regulator is set to

Current flows through the path of least resistance it isn't drawn from that source. When we talk path of least resistance we are talking about things like deciding "do I fround my rear batteries to the frame or to the front battery" etc.

Voltage is supplied first by the source with the greatest voltage.

- You have a 12V battery with huge storage capacity, lets say a D7500 12 inches away from the amp connected with 2/0 wire

- Also connected to the amp you have 20 feet of 1/0 wire with 2 of those batteries connected in series so here you have a 24V power source, which is above the amps safe operating voltage

Now, what is the path of least resistance? The single 12V battery right? So since it is closer, do you think the amp is safe because it is harder for the 24V to get to the amp?

Save your money for a 2nd battery, buy a good alternator and you're golden.

If I buy the XS power battery for the front and get the 240amp alt and have no issues, I wouldnt really need a second battery though unless I wanted to play music with just the batts.

always match the batterys..... you could get away without it..... i'm a keen believer in overkill for all my electrical. cant hurt having the extra batt in there

Yes it can

So if I did have to end up buying a second battery, would you recommend a smaller, larger or identical battery for the rear?

You should never I repeat never play your system with the car off.

Unless you like your gear extra crispy.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Current flows through the path of least resistance it isn't drawn from that source. When we talk path of least resistance we are talking about things like deciding "do I fround my rear batteries to the frame or to the front battery" etc.

Voltage is supplied first by the source with the greatest voltage.

Now, what is the path of least resistance? The single 12V battery right? So since it is closer, do you think the amp is safe because it is harder for the 24V to get to the amp?

Save your money for a 2nd battery, buy a good alternator and you're golden.

If I buy the XS power battery for the front and get the 240amp alt and have no issues, I wouldnt really need a second battery though unless I wanted to play music with just the batts.

Don't forget that your vehicle needs some of your alt's output also. That's why in my first post i asked you what your oem alt was rated at. You dont NEED to upgrade your battery, but it could help going from OEM to something like an XS. Also, remember with aftermarket alternators there are alot of them that over promise and under deliver.

That's hardly a correct comparison.

What are you referencing?
The drawing from two Batts in series vs. An alt and 12v batt.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You should never I repeat never play your system with the car off.

Unless you like your gear extra crispy.

Right, I was suggesting I would not play off the batteries alone. But I thought whether it be right or wrong, some people add extra batteries just to extend their music playing duration while the car is off.

Archived