Second Skin Audio

Looking for input

jpick

I'm looking for suggestions for a 12" sub-woofer with the following specs: 500-1000 watt RMS, I have a ported box tuned to 32 hz, listen to 20-70 hz music range, dubstep, rap music daily, NOT for competitions, but with SPL still as important a factor as SQ, $200-$300 range per sub. I've looked really hard at Sundown SA12, DC Audio Level 3, Soundqubed HDC3, American Bass HD. Almost everytime I think I've made my decision, I find a "spec" that is better on another brand. I fear I am over thinking it now, and feel more lost than I was when I began my search! I'm not looking to build a 10k watt system, so I feel, at the price range I'm looking for, I should be getting a pretty "high end" sub. Not top of the line maybe, but VERY far from a starter sub. Any other brands I should look into? Or suggestions that narrow the ones I've already listed? With SPL, SQ, build quality, and customer service all being very important factors. Thanks guys, and gals if applicable.

In that price range I'd also consider FI Car Audio.

Really all of your choices are good and you will most likely be happy with any of those.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Damn!

A true bass head.

Listens to 20-70hz only!

Ok in topic now

Like mentioned already any of those choices would be good.

Another thing that needs to be t taking into account though is the boxes internal net volume and port size. Some of those subs will perform better in a bigger some a smaller. Some need more port area some less.

So box dimensions, net volume, port area would be helpful.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I use a price, power and brand reputation for my choices.

My last set of subs were the RF P2 10" that really sounded good and got loud on the power they were given.

Everything about subs is enclosure dependent, if the enclosure sucks so will the sound of your subs, so it is best to build the right enclosure the first time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I believe everything you say about p2 10s, I just built a box for a single, I guess God must of put his hand on that enclosure because you'd never think a $80 speaker would play as low and loud as it does, and thats In a jeep. So yes, I honesty believe the enclosure makes more difference than the sub op.

In that price range I'd also consider FI Car Audio.

Really all of your choices are good and you will most likely be happy with any of those.

Will check into FI. Thanks!

Damn!

A true bass head.

Listens to 20-70hz only!

Ok in topic now

Like mentioned already any of those choices would be good.

Another thing that needs to be t taking into account though is the boxes internal net volume and port size. Some of those subs will perform better in a bigger some a smaller. Some need more port area some less.

So box dimensions, net volume, port area would be helpful.

That is the range I try to keep my sub at, using my mid-bass stage for bass above 70 ish to 80. The box is 20x20x15.5 external using 3/4 MDF, GROSS vol is 2.77 cubic feet, I will have to google how to figure net vol with port again because I'm drawing a blank lol, and the port is 2" wide 14" tall and 30" long. Thanks for input!

So you have already a bass stage that plays 20-70? what is that you have? Also could you mention what vehicle is it?

I try to keep my sub stage in this range, give or take 5 or 10 hz. Using built in crossover in amp, and HU crossover. I currently have one 12" Memphis Audio SRX12D4, 250 watt RMS, powered by a Memphis Audio SRX1.250, 250 watt RMS x 1 @ 2ohm in aforementioned box. Vehicle is 2008 Nissan Altima, back seat NOT folded down. Yes it is low power, in a trunk, but it bangs. I always make people guess first, when they ask what I have, and the closest anyone has gotten was a guy that said he bet I had 2 12's and a 500 watt amp. Most responses are 15's with 1000 watts. LOL Thanks for input!

I use a price, power and brand reputation for my choices.

My last set of subs were the RF P2 10" that really sounded good and got loud on the power they were given.

Everything about subs is enclosure dependent, if the enclosure sucks so will the sound of your subs, so it is best to build the right enclosure the first time.

I agree 1000% on the enclosure part. I preach that to EVERYONE I speak to about car audio. I like all the RF stuff I have personally heard, but my opinion of it, is that I can get the same wattage and quality for less money, so I don't generally use RF, unless I catch a good sale, like I did on my 6.5 mid-woofers that I put in my wife's Sequoia. Thanks for the input!

I believe everything you say about p2 10s, I just built a box for a single, I guess God must of put his hand on that enclosure because you'd never think a $80 speaker would play as low and loud as it does, and thats In a jeep. So yes, I honesty believe the enclosure makes more difference than the sub op.

Congrats on the blessing of your enclosure! LOL! And thanks for your input!

According to my calculations, I have 1.9 cubic feet net enclosure. I checked out the FI SSD 12, seems to be a really good sub for $225. I am going to be pushing the sub i decide on with a Crescendo BC2000D. That also keeps me going back to the Sundown, because of the rms power range being closely matched. I'm thinking an SA12D2, wired to 4 ohm for about 600 ish watts, leaving room to upgrade to 2 subs wired to 2 ohms for 1100 ish watts. Why must there be so many choices!! :nuts:

1.9 net before sub. After sub you will be looking at 1.7-1.8 net, unless you invert.

With that i would be looking at a sub that prefers a smaller box and that can handle 800-1200rms. Wire to 2ohms. Then you can buy a second wire to 1 ohm. Give then roughly 1k each. Use that amp to its fullest.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived