Is it good or bad or crimp wires then solder?

And I was all warmed up. Seems like y'all got it under control ;)

@OP if your crimp is good, you physically couldn't solder it. There's nothing to wick into. It becomes a single, solid, impermeable piece of metal.If you can solder, it means your crimp was junk in the first place and you should solder from the get go

Well, I did crimp 0/1 last night with a chisel, a mini sledge, and my vice.... And I can tell you that when I put it in my vice, I can pull on it as hard as I want and can't separate it.

That is no crimp. It's a hackjob.

The split style are kinda weak and the crimp doesn't stay as well as I like. That's why I solder them..

I have tried rosin core solder with CCA wire and copper lugs and it didn't work for me but I have no issue with IFC wire.

Just my .02

Split style are usually made for soldering, the closed end is the crimping lug.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Well, I did crimp 0/1 last night with a chisel, a mini sledge, and my vice.... And I can tell you that when I put it in my vice, I can pull on it as hard as I want and can't separate it.

That is no crimp. It's a hackjob.

The split style are kinda weak and the crimp doesn't stay as well as I like. That's why I solder them..

I have tried rosin core solder with CCA wire and copper lugs and it didn't work for me but I have no issue with IFC wire.

Just my .02

Split style are usually made for soldering, the closed end is the crimping lug.

Go back and read page one. Lol I am way way ahead of ya buddy.

I think that someone should do a test, take 2 short runs, one soldered, the other crimped, then one to positive of a battery to a coil or resistance big enough to not burn or explode, after the coil use the other wire and connect to the negative of the battery.

the coil will glow red of all the current is passing through it, and use a thermal gun to measure the heat from the crimped and the soldered terminal, the terminal with less temperature should be the best. (hope it works though lol)

I think that someone should do a test, take 2 short runs, one soldered, the other crimped, then one to positive of a battery to a coil or resistance big enough to not burn or explode, after the coil use the other wire and connect to the negative of the battery.

the coil will glow red of all the current is passing through it, and use a thermal gun to measure the heat from the crimped and the soldered terminal, the terminal with less temperature should be the best. (hope it works though lol)

I'd use a battery charger rather than a battery for that test

And as for crimping vs soldering, it'll always be one of the great debates...

But in big power applications they crimp, not solder (talking multi KW) at least around me.

Soldering is known to be super conductive and a good connection as well...

Pick your poison!

But in big power applications they crimp, not solder (talking multi KW) at least around me.

Pick your poison!

Even if you solder, you can still use crimp lugs. They are MEATY and made of copper

mrV4XXKICGEoVGmv5g6MDPg.jpg

Vs the thin split end ones made of brass

41wWoZ%2BRohL._SY355_.jpg

Compare copper vs brass conductivity here:

Capture_zpsb7f22b60.jpg

FWIW a couple team mates have seen a small gain on the meter when switching over to the copper lugs as opposed to the brass ones

16 ton hydralic crimper all day

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Pick your poison!

Funny you state it that way because solder actually is poison.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

So the split terminals are better for singer while the closed end are better for crimping.

I proper crimp should have the wire smashed so tight that it's basically welded together.

A good crimp would prevent solder from being able to drip down the wire making it pointless to solder a crimped wire.

Copper is better then brass

There I think I got all the info in one post.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived