Reposting this from the "other forum". Haven't gotten one reply there, hopefully it is more active around here.

Ok. So for my fifteenth birthday, my parents bought me my second vehicle. Well, I say my second, but the first was an old junk Foxbody Mustang that I hoped to restore. So as my Daily, my dad found a 2000 Ford Ranger. That's cool. It's the one year only color, Mandarin Copper, it has just enough chrome to be nice, but not ghetto. The only problem? It is a single cab! So, when I started talking to my girlfriend, and her dad, who both are serious about their systems (She has a Sundown X-12, and he has an RE Audio XX18) He had a Rockford Fosgate P2D2-12 for sale, and offered to cut me a deal on it because I help him out on different things all the time. He said if I gave him $50, he'd sell it to me and build me a box to fit it in my truck. I was doubtful, but I figured if it ended up not fitting, I could at least sell it for $75 and make my money back on it. Well, he came through, and built me a sealed box for the 12, and that's when I realized that the cheap crap that I called a Dual amp was blown. So, when the next project came around, he offered to buy me an amp from his brother, who also was into car audio. We put a Rough Country 5 inch lift on his 2010 Jeep, and he bought the two amps that his brother had. Well, when I finally installed one, it didn't work. So I tried the other one, and it worked, but it distorted terribly, and only one of the two channels worked. So he offered to buy me a brand new Hifonics HFI 1000.1D, and even gave me some new 4 Gauge Power and ground, and a set of RCA's.

About 2 months ago I traded a buddy of mine the P2 for a Sundown SA12. The only way to do it was to build him a box for it to put in his 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. So he upgraded mids and highs and bought a TIS Audio 5 channel amp. He tore up the sub channel, so he offered to buy my 1000 watt. $100. So I pulled the Fosgate out, put the Sundown in. It slams. So much more output than the P2. Then something big messed up. All the wiring on the driver's side of my dashboard burnt to a crisp. It shorted to my dimmer switch. If it isn't one thing it's 10. So I brought the truck to the same buddy's house, and I tore all the trim pieces off of the dash. That's where she sits. So, because my truck is out of commission, we went ahead and took the amp out of my truck and put it in his car. 6 gauge power and ground. This gives me a chance to upgrade because it's not gonna run either way. Which brings me to a question. Once I put the aeroport on, tuned to 32, would I need PA mids? How much louder would it be than the bass? I like my bass to overpower my highs, but I love warm mids. I want my truck to be a loud demo vehicle, so being able to understand the vocals is a must. I love the sound of the Crescendos, but they are just out of my budget right now. I like the sound of a soft dome tweeter, but am not against a bullet tweeter as long as it's not harsh. What would you guys recommend as far as mids and highs? I don't want an SQ setup like Focal. Something more along the lines of loud and clear. Also need a 4 channel amp for mids and highs. I would like to run PA mids active, but a regular setup I wouldn't mind running passive crossovers. Eventually a NVX in dash EQ. I'm determined to run NVX in here somewhere. New brand, and I like the products they are releasing.

Archived