Sundown Audio

Smoked my AMP :( with Pics of the inside!

volvowith18psi

Im so confused here and an asking the experts for some help.

Setup: 1/0 Knu Kol all around. Copper soldered lugs, 250 in line AGL. Grounds preped, but not ideal due to unibody design.

SAE 1200Dv2 refurb from a few years old. (old setup: 2x SA12s D4 wired @1ohm, mechman, xspower)

New/temp: 1x SA 12 D4 @ 2ohm on the SAE tuned @35v at max listening volume. (Was previously set with a DD1 and CC1? by a fellow forums member for a 1ohm load, I backed it down from that) Best I could do for a quick install. Stock crappy battery and alt, but the carge and voltages were fine (AFAIK, even still, I bought this AMP for the sole purpose it did rated power at 12.6v and not 14.4) Home built box I found online. 1.75cft etc.., I know it was small, but thats another story....

So, I have installed alot of systems of my own and this is a first. been banging away for 2 weeks now in the new car I inherited with 0 issues, when on the way home tonight after a good beat session, I lost AMP power. All 5 30A fuses in the amp blew. I Figured it was a rare fluke of some kind, went and got 5 more, put them in, pop instantly. So, by now Im thinking WTF is happening...... I think ok, popping fuses means a short somewhere or lose ground. I rip the ground out, clean it the best I could in a random parking lot, put it back in, get the MM out, 0.001 resistance from lug to end of wire, I'm thinking ok great, problem solved....... Go get 1 more round of fuses, make sure they go in nice and perfect, connect everything at the battery, touch the ground to connect.... POOF- Huge cloud out of the amp. At this point.... I know its toast. Edit: It was bone cold poping these fuses, no heat in the slightest.

What could cause this when everything was working perfect? don't even know where to start.... If there was a short in the pos+ lead, that SHOULD have popped the in line AGL yes? Or not since it was fused at 100 amps higher.... Maybe a body panel cut into the wire jacket on the ride home? I dont even know....

Sad and bass-less.... again.... :/

Edit: Since I figure its junk, I took it apart to see what it looked like.... Keep in mind this is also a refurb. when I got it: Here we go!

20150102_204136.jpg

20150102_204227.jpg

20150102_204216.jpg

5 of these square things look to be the cause of the smoke, others look ok.

20150102_203949.jpg

20150102_203939.jpg

20150102_203917.jpg

I guess this was a repair before I got it lol

20150102_203837.jpg

20150102_203813.jpg

20150102_203740.jpg

This even worth trying to have fixed?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, was this issue in anew car? Or the same car u have been using with the 2x12 Setup? If it's a new car were u using the same head unit? I'm thinking if not ur voltage could have been way off. But until I know more details I'm just shooting ideas out my ass.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Send the pictures to dbr.

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

Holy shit that is the most hacked repair job I've ever seen.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I've opened up one or two amps and the soldering on the inside looked nowhere near that bad. No offense but I have seen kids in highschool do a better job. I know OP you didnt solder it, just saying the repair place didnt do a good job.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Well..... I got it like this, like I said, it was a refurb, from the place that sells refurbs. Not going to name drop, but yea....

Same equipment, just a new car I inherited. Oh, new HU though. 4000NEX. Only thing that was different. Same wires, same amp, and sub. (Could only fit 1 in the trunk while I gathered funds to have a real custom box designed for this car. Figured I could put my old equipment I had in the basement in this for awhile till I could afford to "do it up" something to "just get me bumping"

Again, I never did big systems, but have done abit over the years from MTX thunder 5000's to sundown era... Weird thing is, amp smoked and didnt pop the fuses on the last go. Still not sure why this happened. I still dont think a short in the pos+ wire woulda caused this honestly....

Archived