Bottleneck? (gaming)

So I've been having a recurring issue with various games of frame rate stuttering. FRAPS shows good frame rate; 40fps+ and will run generally smooth. but it seems like there's a frame or two in there that lags behind the others and it's driving me nuts trying to find it. GPU usage according to MSI Afterburner is hovering around 35%, cpu is ~25%, ram usage is 13%. I've noted that both CPU and GPU clocks are throttled back and aren't "working" as hard as they could be. Makes me think there's something else holding them up.

It's driving me up the wall trying to find out why I'm not getting a better framerate here. And the stuttering is getting on my nerves pretty fierce. Power setting is on performance. Can't think of anything else.

Any ideas or tests I could do to help isolate the problem? It just seems like there's so much more left in the throttle that's not being used, so to speak.

What game(s)?

I know some games like ARMA are just coded like crap and it doesn't matter if you have $500k in a computer, you'll still not get 60fps.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

What is the refresh rate you are running at on the monitors? I think if they are 60hz you are noticing that because you're not holding a solid 60fps. When ever I game I can tell a difference between a solid 60fps and 45-55fps that is fluctuating. Also, if your GPU isn't fully loaded, and your not reaching the refresh rate of your monitor in FPS. I believe just as you, something aint right.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Screen is 60hz

Been noticing the issue pretty consistently through Skyrim, Bioshock (first one), metro last light, Crysis 3. Haven't tried other games yet but there's enough of a trend to make me wonder

Whats the specs of the PC. I have played two of those games without any type of issues. Do you ever run your games with Vsync enabled?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Whats the specs of the PC. I have played two of those games without any type of issues. Do you ever run your games with Vsync enabled?

Tried it with and without vsync. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way

Intel i7-4910MQ 2.9ghz - stock clock

Nvidia 980m SLI - OCed by +135mHz GPU, + 200mHz memory. Reverting to stock clock made no difference

Terabyte SSD

32g ram - stock clock

Win8 x64

Are you positive everything is 100% up to date, as far as drivers and game updates? Also, is this a laptop? Reason I ask about it being a laptop is that they are suck at ventilating heat. I used to having a gaming laptop and when I first got it thing was dope. But after a while thing got slow. Even after a fresh wipe.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Yes it's a laptop

I'll double check drivers right now. Will post back if there was an update to anything and if it yielded any changes. Give me a few

As a matter of testing: I tried disabling SLI and did a quick test in Crysis 3. Stuttering is still an issue. No notable change in framerate and GPU usage on the single active one was fluctuating between 50 and 60%

Going by pure GPU usage, it seems graphics isn't the bottle neck. But in game it almost behaves as if it is. Good frame rate looking at the floor (60-80), framerate drops looking around in complex scenes (30-40). But I can't find where the bottle neck is as CPU and RAM usage are both fairly low

Yes it's a laptop

I'll double check drivers right now. Will post back if there was an update to anything and if it yielded any changes. Give me a few

As a matter of testing: I tried disabling SLI and did a quick test in Crysis 3. Stuttering is still an issue. No notable change in framerate and GPU usage on the single active one was fluctuating between 50 and 60%

Going by pure GPU usage, it seems graphics isn't the bottle neck. But in game it almost behaves as if it is. Good frame rate looking at the floor (60-80), framerate drops looking around in complex scenes (30-40). But I can't find where the bottle neck is as CPU and RAM usage are both fairly low

I am no expert when it comes to PC's but I am way better than the next guy. When ever I had things like that, I always assumed it being the gpu can't keep up. When your looking at the floor, the field of view is tiny. Look straight and into the open, is when things get taxing. I don't know how, but that GPU not being fully used makes me think it should run better. Just need to figure out why it's not running at full load.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Yeah it's really bizarre.

Checked drivers, found a more recent one for the GPUs. Installed it, saw no change. Single gpu and SLI frame rates are the same, SLI gpu usage is around 30%, single GPU usage is 50-60%. Frame rates 60-80 looking at the floor, 30-40 looking out in the open and still has the choppyness regardless. Overclocking yields no change in either chopyness or frame rate.

Laptop is a Sager NP-9377. A google search found a couple people having similar issues with the desktop version of this GPU but no fixes

Archived