I hope you contacted D'Amore. I've dealt with him a few times and everything went smooth and was resolved quickly.

First time, I was having troubles with my DD-1, did everything we could to troubleshoot it, and then he asked for a serial number. It was one of the first DD-1's sold so it was out of warranty. Didn't matter, he said he has had so few problems with these that he would actually like to know what is wrong with it and he would fix it. I shipped it out to him, he fixed it for free and shipped it back at no cost to me. (it was a real defect.)

Edited by Afficionado

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got 2 units from Sonic Electronics and both of them had no serial number. I had a similar issue with mine powering up than immediately turning off even though it was a fresh battery. I tried a few brand new batteries before it finally worked with one. seems to me that these units are very temperamental b/c my only works with the higher end Energizer battery. it does not work with regular Energizer or Duracell. BTW you'll get no where on posting on here b/c everyone is going to say it's your fault why it doesn't work and that you bought from an unauthorized dealer even though you didn't. If you have praise to be said about the units than you can post whatever you want, if you have anything neutral or negative to post than you'll get flamed. The one I have still doesn't have a serial number. If you contact D'Amore directly you'll be given a solution of sending the unit in on your dime. which is going to be the only route that will actually yield a result. I bought mine from SonicElectronics and the solutions was always to send it back and than after they process the return, they'll send you another one if they have it in stock.

Actually, the units work great with normal Duracell or Energizer batteries. On the Serial number thing, i really don't know anything about that. I have had returns from Sonic (who ARE AUTHORIZED Dealers) and they all have serial numbers. This tells me they don't pull them off. If you got 2 without a number on them then you should probably start playing the lottery with your luck. FYI: Every return from Sonic that has ever came back to my shop has worked fine with the exception of maybe 1. People use stuff and then return it or they don't use it right and return it. None the less 99% of all our complaints or returns have been unfounded or user error.

as for you saying "if you say anything negative you will get flamed"....what is that all about? I don't care if i own this forum or the product, i will tell you flat out that is BULLSHIT. I can't count how many times someone bitched about the product not working and within 3 pages of posts said "oh, it works now i just had to do this". Problem solved. But no flaming that i ever saw. If a product fails for no good reason, i will be on it like flies on dog poop but first i need to know it is actually failing. I can't count how many times someone sent me in a unit that was "not working" and i open it to find their cheap chinese 9v battery (that looks like it came directly out of their old Furby toy and into the unit.) A good Alkeline battery is essential.

We have had probes fail (a few manufacturer defects) or people flat out ripping them out of the socket. Stuff happens. Even when it is user error to this day i haven't charged anyone for harnesses or scratched CD's and usually ship on MY dime. Even when people email me saying they bought it 2nd hand from a friend. These products are a first of their kind and problems WILL happen...and we expect it. But failure rate is low.

Now whether D'Amore returns phone calls or Emails, i don't fully know any of the situation with that. They are not the same company as SMD. They are fully separate from me. So if you have had trouble contacting them in the past, that is something i cannot control.

for the batteries working for you, that has not been my experience. I own a DD1 (have owned 8), CC1 (have owned 5), AMM1. I have never put anything other than an Energizer or Duracell battery in any of them. I pulled a Duracell from my DD1 to put into my AMM1 when I got the first one. it wasn't reading power output consistently. i figured it was a little used so I put a fresh one in and it did the same thing. I sent that one back and got a new one. I put the new Duracell in and it wouldn't stay on. I try an Energizer battery and it wouldn't even start the power up. I changed to a higher end Energizer and than it powered on. All of the AMM1s i received from SonicElectronics don't have a serial number including the last one that I still have. I have had the DD1s and CC1s not detect signals with new batteries from either Duracell or Energizer.

For the flaming. i get why you would call BS but the truth is that outside of your forum the masses look at the SMD forum mods as communist rulers. I'm not going to say they are but they are over eager. there is even a rule that you can't question a mod. i replied to a WTB thread and got 2 warning even though i wasn't selling anything. i PM'd the mod and got a response of "read the rules". I personally asked for help in a previous thread and have had the mob mentality attack me b/c I said some displeasing words about my POV. This was all after I asked for help and no one stepped up. than it turned into my fault b/c I didn't e-mail D'Amore about my question as opposed to me asking on the D'Amore Forum section. Your forum is meant to be a point of contact community gathering of baseheads. If dealers/businesses are paying for their own section than they should be pro-active in their section. Obviously their activity has nothing to do with you but the OP posted his findings with SMDs most expensive handheld unit. Everyones re-action is "you shouldn't have done that" "you voided your warranty". if it would have been any other product and he cracked it open to see what was wrong, it would have been okay. as for the failure rate, i'm not saying it's rampant at all. I am just saying that putting out additional money to send an item back will skew those numbers to be lower b/c a lot of people would rather just call it a loss than put money out to send the item in. SonicElectronics has paid for me to send my AMM1s back, so I sent them back only to still get a replacement with no serial number. D'Amore wants me to send it in to get a serial number and test it b/c it's the one that is temperamental with the batteries but I'm paying to package it and send it to them. I still haven't sent it in. I'm sure other have been faced with this same option and have opted to not send it in, I know a few that are local to me. I have not had trouble getting a response when I e-mail either SMD/WCC, D'Amore, or SonicElectronics. The problem is response is when someone post their question or issue on the forum.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

i got 2 units from Sonic Electronics and both of them had no serial number. I had a similar issue with mine powering up than immediately turning off even though it was a fresh battery. I tried a few brand new batteries before it finally worked with one. seems to me that these units are very temperamental b/c my only works with the higher end Energizer battery. it does not work with regular Energizer or Duracell. BTW you'll get no where on posting on here b/c everyone is going to say it's your fault why it doesn't work and that you bought from an unauthorized dealer even though you didn't. If you have praise to be said about the units than you can post whatever you want, if you have anything neutral or negative to post than you'll get flamed. The one I have still doesn't have a serial number. If you contact D'Amore directly you'll be given a solution of sending the unit in on your dime. which is going to be the only route that will actually yield a result. I bought mine from SonicElectronics and the solutions was always to send it back and than after they process the return, they'll send you another one if they have it in stock.

The OP didn't get flamed. And the advice has nothing to do with it being an SMD product being questioned on the SMD sight. People were nice to him actually. Nobody said "hey dumb ass you screwed yourself by taking it apart so you are SOL"

You go buy just about ANY electronic equipment that comes with a warranty and it will say right on it something to the effect of "warranty void if opened". Not being aware of that is the consumers fault, not the manufacturers. I'm not playing ignorant to the fact that some nut hugging does happen, but every brand has some loyal followers.

In my experience, D'Amore is slow returning emails, actually worse than slow, he hasn't returned any of mine, but at the same time there is a number to call which I haven't done so that part is on me. wccaraudio@gmail always gets back in a timely manner. They also have a contact number :)

Edited by rockFord_Expedition

I'm so sure there are tons of people out there that wouldn't pay $10 to ship their $100+ tools in for warranty. Give it a break man.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Most of the time people get out what they put in...

Someone complains about a DD-1 not working right and goes about it in a child like manner and come to find out that the product wasn't working right because it wasn't being used right. Who's fault is that? Steve's? Tony's? All they can do is put out a product, they can't control what some ignorant people are going to do. These are the people that are given a hard time from what ive witnessed.

i didn't see anything saying "if opened warranty will be voided" but if it is, so be it. i was not gonna wait around for a response or email especially when i work upwards of 70 hours a week with no time in my hands, when i quickly found what the issue was my self. was not the smartest idea to open it up i was anxious to use the device but why send a unit with a folded ribbon out to the public? don't they get tested when leaving the door?

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

Knowledge, send it in and we will take care of you. I don't know where you have been emailing but I can tell you it wasn't to me. We don't sit in front of computers during the day as we are the actual manufacturer, we are in the lab with soldering irons in hand all day. So sometimes it does take us a few days before we see an email. Either way, its all good, just ship it to

D'Amore Engineering

1920 E. 3rd St.

Suite 12

Tempe, AZ 85281

save one of those used but working AMM-1 for me lol

srs. I'd be all over a refurb AMM-1. Haven't even seen a used one for sale yet...guess people like em.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.