Sonic Electronix

How much would I be over paying?

So now that there isn't any custom work I'd have to say what is this worth to you? I can say there's no way I'd pay that for that install but I'm also of a pretty good advanced skill set imo. If you don't have the skills to do this you have to put the value on it to say if you'd be overpaying or not. There is something to be said about supporting your local shop if they are good and stand behind it if you have issues. That is something that should be considered.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that there isn't any custom work I'd have to say what is this worth to you? I can say there's no way I'd pay that for that install but I'm also of a pretty good advanced skill set imo. If you don't have the skills to do this you have to put the value on it to say if you'd be overpaying or not. There is something to be said about supporting your local shop if they are good and stand behind it if you have issues. That is something that should be considered.

I want to support this shop, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm a strong believer in that you get what you pay for, so for me not have the skills for the install. I would be comfortable with them installing it. Now that I have eliminated the sound dampener, the amp, and the tweets. I have a lot more reason able of a price of 900 dollars. I also want to say thank you for your advice, I will keep what you said in mind before putting the money down.

Currently whipping a O4' GMC Sierra 2500

Performance:

K&N Cold Air Intake

Hedman headers

3" True duels

Flowmaster Super 10's

Magnaflow High Flow Cats

G2 4:88 running gears

New cooling system

Superchips Flashpaq programmer

Eaton lockers

Audio: JL CP208W3V3

Kenwood X500-1

8 Gauge Memphis Power wire

Kenwood DDX8901HD

Exterior:

Fabtech 9.5" lift

38x13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T's

18x10 Fuel Mavericks (-44 offset)

Diamond plate bed gaurds

Diamond plate tool box

Recon Xenon Bulbs in Highs,Lows,& Fogs

Recon LED Tail lights

AMP Research Automated steps

What are your goals with this?

What are you going for?

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

on labor you wont be able to save much.. on gear you can bring it down by a few hundred.. switch the 6.5 for pwx or any other brand you like and get a pair of tweeters for $50

where i see you are over paying is the 10% misc. install supplies. you already paying for install so that should have been included with the install price. they are also charging you for almost 7 hour labor. maybe they wont even work on your car 7 hours so why should you pay for hours they are not working on it.. when i use to have my stuff installed by shops i would make sure they would charge me per the amp not per hour. they sometimes tell you ir takes 3 hours when it really takes 1 hour. that also gives them an option to work on other cars on your time and money.. one shop here charged me $40 to install 2 pairs of 6x9.. i paid $200 to get the expo deadened and run 2 lines of power wire and install 2 rear batteries

If you want a cleaner sound, you need to add the sound materials.

Your invoice shows 2 for the quantity of speakers. Are they sold individually, or are you getting two sets? If they are all going in the front doors, there is obvious labor to make them fit.

Shocked it took anyone all the way to the second page to notice that. So 2 sets of C2 coax and a set of tweeters (which I see OP says will be eliminated later) to fit in what vehicle? Has to be some custom labor involved.

I had been an audio installer for a high end shop for quite a few years and this is how we generally broke it down on basic installs:

Each set of direct-fit speakers is 1 hour.

Amp is two hours mounted basic, wired, etc. Custom add more, of course.

Component sets are 3 hours (1 hour per component--woofer, tweeter, crossover). Some components go in faster, some take longer than you'd think. Usually evens out. Crossovers are always mounted, never zip tied under a dash or whatever like the cheaper shops.

Sound deadening doors is 1 hour basic coverage, 2 hours for full inner and outer skin coverage.

Multiply those figures by your shop's hourly rate see how it compares.

Quite honestly I'd skip the coaxes and put in a component set up front, but again it depends on the vehicle. Average component sets will start in the $200-250 price range and cover the front stage, only requiring two amp channels. Better ones will jump up to $400-600 and up.

Static drops are my bag.

If you want a cleaner sound, you need to add the sound materials.

Your invoice shows 2 for the quantity of speakers. Are they sold individually, or are you getting two sets? If they are all going in the front doors, there is obvious labor to make them fit.

Shocked it took anyone all the way to the second page to notice that. So 2 sets of C2 coax and a set of tweeters (which I see OP says will be eliminated later) to fit in what vehicle? Has to be some custom labor involved.

I had been an audio installer for a high end shop for quite a few years and this is how we generally broke it down on basic installs:

Each set of direct-fit speakers is 1 hour.

Amp is two hours mounted basic, wired, etc. Custom add more, of course.

Component sets are 3 hours (1 hour per component--woofer, tweeter, crossover). Some components go in faster, some take longer than you'd think. Usually evens out. Crossovers are always mounted, never zip tied under a dash or whatever like the cheaper shops.

Sound deadening doors is 1 hour basic coverage, 2 hours for full inner and outer skin coverage.

Multiply those figures by your shop's hourly rate see how it compares.

Quite honestly I'd skip the coaxes and put in a component set up front, but again it depends on the vehicle. Average component sets will start in the $200-250 price range and cover the front stage, only requiring two amp channels. Better ones will jump up to $400-600 and up.

Oh my goodness! Thank you very much for your comment! With the information you gave me I did the calculations and the total install cost now should be 174 dollars. WAAAAAYYYYY cheaper.

Performance:

K&N Cold Air Intake

Hedman headers

3" True duels

Flowmaster Super 10's

Magnaflow High Flow Cats

New cooling system

Eaton lockers

Kenwood X500-1

Kenwood DDX8901HD

Exterior:

Fabtech 9.5" lift

Diamond plate bed gaurds

Diamond plate tool box

Recon LED Tail lights

Labor prices all depend on the shop some feel their time is worth more than others and kind of like mechanics they have set prices for the work they are doing.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

on labor you wont be able to save much.. on gear you can bring it down by a few hundred.. switch the 6.5 for pwx or any other brand you like and get a pair of tweeters for $50

where i see you are over paying is the 10% misc. install supplies. you already paying for install so that should have been included with the install price. they are also charging you for almost 7 hour labor. maybe they wont even work on your car 7 hours so why should you pay for hours they are not working on it.. when i use to have my stuff installed by shops i would make sure they would charge me per the amp not per hour. they sometimes tell you ir takes 3 hours when it really takes 1 hour. that also gives them an option to work on other cars on your time and money.. one shop here charged me $40 to install 2 pairs of 6x9.. i paid $200 to get the expo deadened and run 2 lines of power wire and install 2 rear batteries

As I'm not a car audio installer so I have no experience on what the "standard" labor charge is. But I do have a automotive repair shop and we charge by the job. The.. If the labor book says it takes 3 hours to replace an alternator and it only took the tech 2. Im still charging 3hrs. We don't charge actual time spent not the job. Some jobs pay 3 hours but end up taking 4-5-6 hours cause of little issues you come across.

It may be the same with car audio.

As for the 10% Misc supplies that is what I call shop supplies. I charge 4% As a shop you need to have this on every ticket. That covers everything that gets used that may not make it on the invoice.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Labor prices all depend on the shop some feel their time is worth more than others and kind of like mechanics they have set prices for the work they are doing.

The hourly price is 87 dollars for the install. Now with the information JK13 told me, i calculated everything and it all lines up. With me removing a lot of unnecessary things, the new install price is 174 dollars compared to the old 586 dollar install price. Now that brings the install price down to about 650 dollars.

Performance:

K&N Cold Air Intake

Hedman headers

3" True duels

Flowmaster Super 10's

Magnaflow High Flow Cats

New cooling system

Eaton lockers

Kenwood X500-1

Kenwood DDX8901HD

Exterior:

Fabtech 9.5" lift

Diamond plate bed gaurds

Diamond plate tool box

Recon LED Tail lights

thats how shops work.. they charge you for certain hours. you leave and they work on cars that show up that require small work. you show up 7 hours later and they are almost finishing up then tell you it was a lot of work

You know some Fucked up shops man.

Mechanics charge for however many hours the book tells them it takes you lose on some and make money on others.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived