Sundown Audio

Fix Phoenix Gold Amp or buy new???

JustaBowlal

I need your help deciding if I should fix my Phoenix Gold ZX475ti or replace it. Maybe going to a 5 channel to run everything. I have found a couple places that charge about $150 to fix it's issues. I don't believe them to be substantial as it's 3-4 channels are still working fine bridged to run sub at 4ohm. But the 1-2 channels are not functioning well at all. I think it may actually be in the x-over module, but I'm not a technician. So would you fix the oldie or go new?

It's too bad that it's not in perfect cosmetic condition. Bought it used for a good price, wanted one for a long time, too bad it is having issues. Probably will fix it at some point. Considering the Rockford P1000.5 as a replacement. Little over my budget, but like the sub wattage output. Just torn a little right now.

I think the PG toasted the left woofer of my new JBL component set. So it's gotta go. Was double checking the wiring and when I got it hooked back up to the amp, it just started making popping noises from that side. Gotta open the door and take a look at things, but no sound now from that woofer after hooking back up to head unit power, just the tweeter. I'm a little worried.

I'm done with this amp, took it out and opened her up. Wow the guts are nice and complicated. Beautiful work by PG back in the day.

Good news after taking apart the PG and looking things over it just seemed like nothing was wrong with the amp. So I went looking at wiring and testing things out. Looks like I had a wire grounding out on my tweeter. Bad install by me... But now after some careful testing we are back up and running. Love this old school PG amp and may buy a mono for the sub. Wish I could afford a matching one... Oh well thanks for listening to my fups, but hey the wife won't listen!

Archived