Sonic Electronix

Hi,

I have a question. I'm building a new ported enclosure for my subwoofer and I wanna know what the peak freq is in my car. I will try to determine by ear but just in case I'm wrong I want to check it with a decibel meter.

I've downloaded an app on my iPhone that's pretty accurate but I'm wondering if the mic on an iPhone 6 can pick up frequencies between 30hz-40hz at the same amount of db's because I've seen a graph of older iPhones showing that it drops slowly below 50hz.

Is there anyone who has experience with this or knows if the iPhone 6 mic can pick up 30 / 40hz at 0db?

Greetings

Pretty sure it would only pick up like 80db or so

2004 Grand Marquis
AA Mayhem 18
Crescendo 3500d
6.5's AQ Pro Audio
AQ Super Tweets
Image Dynamics 6x9
Soundqubed 125.4
MB Quart 80.4
144.2 db

GONZO

2013 Chrysler 300S

Granite Crystal Metallic Exterior

Inferno Red Interior

5.7 HEMI AWD

LMI Air Hammer Intake

Corsa exhaust

Custom Tune

Yes it won't meassure full db's, maybe 100 max but I will test it just to see the difference between freqs so I'll keep the volume below that point.

It's just that I don't know if the mic cuts off at low freqs. It has to record at 0db between 30-40hz

The microphones on mobiles have nowhere near the ability to measure pressure than spl oriented meters. Hate to burst your bubble.

I've read that some iphone apps (musicsafecheck and safenoise) are accurate to +/- 2db when under 100db but above that it starts becoming pretty inaccurate, if 2db isn't inaccurate enough.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

110dB is maximum on Apple devices. We used my son's iPod for a school project on sound deadening. Put a speaker inside a box and used various insulation and other materials to see which was most effective to build a home music studio.

Was within 1-2 dB of the AC RTA at home, but we played full range music, not 30-50 Hz, sorry Jam.

Static drops are my bag.

I think the better question would be is the iphone accurate on what frequency is being played. even if it could only measure up to 100 db, that can still be very useful information.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I'm not about to blow out the mic on my 6 testing this

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

it doesnt matter if its accurate or not cause even if it was it would be "A" weighted DB not "C" weighted which is more accurate for low freq. even a really good meter that only does "A" and "B" weighted measurement is not going to be accurate measuring low freq.

Thank you guys for your feedback. Indeed it doesn't really matter how much db's I guess cause it's just to meassure the difference between the frequencies.

I'm using the app called 'dB Volume' and it has a function where I can change the Weighting from A,B & C. I don't know what that means and if it has something to do with the software or hardware wether that works or not.

But if you guys say it's still not accurate even though I play at low volume then I guess I can't really rely on it..

I used this box with a different sub in a different car (also small hatchback) in a competition and it gave the same peak at 33hz and 40hz on the Termlab meter, the sub was a 1200 rms kicker and I'm using a 1250rms Havoc now, they were both 15". I can try to test the app but I guess the numbers wont be reliable with all the changes.

So you guys are saying the only real way to check the peak freq is to buy an expensive db meter that's c weighted? (whatever that may be haha)

Thanks!

Archived