SMD Tool Rental...Who would be interested?

I would love to rent an Im-SG in the future....

Have you came up with a good rental agreement and had a lawyer take a look at it to make sure there isn't any loopholes?

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I need the CC-1 and AMM-1 for sure. Love this idea.

2007 Ford Ranger

(ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES)

K&N Performance Air Intake

Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier

2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed)

4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8"

2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks

2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries

JL AUDIO Interconnects

2/0 Gauge Big 3

ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals

ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers

Factory Alternator

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased)

2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD
1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x
Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components
Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9
2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed)
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player
Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System
Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver
Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator
3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries
1 - Optima D34/78 Battery

I have to sit down this week and write a rental agreement that covers everything. I will make the final decision on everything at that time.

Right now this is what I am planning.

Rental fee- 10% of the tools regular price. Ex dd1 $150 would rent for $15

Renter will pay shipping both ways. A return shipping label will be included.

There will be a deposit required to rent any tool. As of now I am planning on that being a full price deposit. Upon safe return of the rented tool, a partial refund would be issued of the full amount less rental fee and shipping costs.

Rental period would be for 7 days. There would days allowed for shipping based on where you are. I will also include a 3-5 day grace period to allow for weekends and holidays. Rough estimate is about 16 days from the time I ship until it must be received back.

There will be late fees charged for up to 5 days that the tool is late past the due date. Once these 5 days have passed, the deposit will be forfeited.

Rental agreement will contain a clause for tool damage as well. All rental agreements will be sent back to the renter with documented proof of the tools condition as it is when shipped to them.

That is the base of what I am thinking. Just have to put it all into a legal document.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

sounds good to me! :good: the only crazy part is ...if you have to have the full amount to rent it, why not just buy it?

don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful opportunity for many (including me) who don't truly find the value in purchasing a tool for one, maybe two uses.

I would love to rent the AM-1, as well as the CC-1....just have to do a little thinking on my part!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

I completely hear you ROLEX....I totally support CJ for what he is trying to do. the right tool for the job is always the right tool for the job, and Tony and co. really have made it easier for all to set gains, crossover, etc. correctly....

I don't really have any peeps close to me, or I'd just borrow from them, even pay to borrow. So, to offer this kind of rental is cool. And I'd hate to see someone try to take advantage of CJ with this generous idea.

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

being billed full boat up front is the incentive to return on time and in good condition and for CJ good insurance that he doesn't lose money.

I explained this in my reply earlier that no one is going to rent having to put up more than the rental fee. If I have the money to buy one than why would I not just buy it for $150, than sell it for the going rate of $100-125 and I don't have to worry about how long I have it for? or I can buy a used one for $100-125 use it than sell it for about what I paid for it. the point of renting is to not pay full price just imagine if Redbox charged you $15 to rent a DVD than gave you back the difference of rental fee and payment when you returned the DVD. seriously I hope it works out for you but being someone that has walked this path, i'm just saying.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

being billed full boat up front is the incentive to return on time and in good condition and for CJ good insurance that he doesn't lose money.

I explained this in my reply earlier that no one is going to rent having to put up more than the rental fee. If I have the money to buy one than why would I not just buy it for $150, than sell it for the going rate of $100-125 and I don't have to worry about how long I have it for? or I can buy a used one for $100-125 use it than sell it for about what I paid for it. the point of renting is to not pay full price just imagine if Redbox charged you $15 to rent a DVD than gave you back the difference of rental fee and payment when you returned the DVD. seriously I hope it works out for you but being someone that has walked this path, i'm just saying.

Comparing this to Redbox is not valid... The DVD you get from Redbox cost them less that 25 cents to make. So if you don't return the DVD they are out for the most part nothing, but the Movie theater charges them a licencing fee for every copy they have. With that being said, you rent the DVD for a buck and don't return it they will charge your card for said licencing fee... Where the DD1, CC1, AMM-1 etc cost $100's of bucks EACH

The rule of thought is that everyone wants to use one but not to own... I have a DD1 and a CC1, just installed an amp the other day took about 15mins total to set gains and crossover point of the amp... So for 15mins of use that is about $300 in equipment that will not be used again unless I change something in my truck... I would rather be able to spend 20 to 30 bucks to set levels and the remaining 270-280 for other stuff the truck could use...

At the same time Cody has to be able to 'protect' his investment and charge full price until he gets the unit back into his hands cause if he didn't then someone could 'own' a DD1, CC1, AMM-1 etc for the simple cost of the rental... If it wasn't for my current location I would rent a AMM-1 to find out how my system is playing... So I think this idea has value to it, and worst case if it flops then he could still sell the 'rented' units as used and recoup most if not all of the investment...

2010 Chevy  HHR Panel (Work in progress)

Pioneer AVHX-5800BHS

McLaren MLM880's and MLT2's 2ea per door on a DC 175.4

Two DC Audio M4 Level 5 15's On A DC5K

Alt CES 200/270+

4ea Banks of Maxwell 2.7v 3000f caps for a total of 2000f

1ea XS 3100 and 2ea NSB FT170 Batts for 450+ah 

Not a HUGE build but here it is... DC Audio HHR Build

TDH-skater229.jpg
SkaterLogo.jpg

The only issues I see in charging full price are 2 things.

One of them being that the majority of people wanting to rent the tools are going to be people that don't have the money to buy the tools themselves.

I still say a PREAUTH for the tools cost is the way to go since no money is actually trading hands so you wont need to have $400.00 on hand to rent an AMM-1, but this will require you too have some form of credit or debit card.

The preauth will only get authorized if the item is never returned or damaged.

Second problem I see is after these tools get used and abused by several people if it actually does go well, there is no way a loaned tool (lets say the dd-1) that is used by even 5 people is worth retail price (of $150.00) if the user does not return it.
Wear and tear brings down the value fast, even Steve sells gently used dd-1s for $99, and Ive seen other people sell them for as low as $80.00 already.

As the user on the other page posted, with him having 12 DD-1s, 5 CC-1 and couldn't rent them out for the life of him and only charged $30 for the dd-1 for one week and $50 for the dd-1 and cc-1 for one week. If he couldn't make it work, I surely cant see this same method working any better if they have to fork out over 4 times that price to rent a DD-1 and cover the tools initial cost to rent it. Maybe his issue was not promoting it well, but I remember seeing him post it on a couple of forums as well as facebook. So I guess I dont know.

I would love to rent a amm-1 just to see where Im at power wise and test before and after sticking in 2 more amps, but I sure don't have $400 to toss around for tool rental and shipping even if you get it back upon return. If I did, Id buy my own amm-1. However I can easily float $400.00 on any one of my credit cards as a preauth which is just as much of an incentive to return the tool. This is going to be the biggest issue for the majority of potential renters.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

why are you quoting me? I was explaining why CJ said 100% full deposit in post #45

but I still agree with him

Your line of thinking may be valid for some people but not all. There are plenty of people willing to do just that. Just cause I have the money to buy it out right means nothing. So because I can afford it means I wanna buy it, fuck no. I can recognize the fact I will never use it enough to justify the out right purchase and at the same time as a SMART consumer understand that a business has to protect itself. Yes, I said it, the average consumer is stupid.

call me a dick but if you cant afford to rent a tool that cost under $200 with that full $200 as deposit to tune a luxury item, that's what car audio is, then maybe your priorities in life are just that fucked up. how bout that?! prioritize your life, and if you cant pay to play then don't play. Without bringing this thread completely off the rails, I hope CJ does figure it out in a matter that works for all but more importantly in a manner that PROTECTS HIM 1ST!

I've been in the business world long enough to see a lot of small businesses go under trying to do right by their customers 1st and them 2nd... it doesn't work. and guess who's there to help that business owner when he's out on the street with his dick in the wind, NO ONE!

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice