My little X99 build

He's on overclock.net in the FS section. My original R9 290X was from a bitcoin miner, got it for a hell of a deal at the time. It was actually a pretty solid card, the person had it all modified for cooling and kept temps around 70C under load, which is what most of them do. They would be worthless to the miner if they just let them overheat all of the time. I don't mine and I used to have the same views as you... But really, it's how you get the best price on a used card... and sometimes it can be worse if you are getting it from some kid that didn't know what he was doing when overclocking/overvolting.

I ended up buying a used Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X for $230 shipped to hold me over till the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, update time:::::

I went balls out on watercooling gear again, spent over 1/2 a grand on watercooling gear and am going back to a special case of mine that is ALL ALUMINUM.. Will go under the jig saw and grinder and all sorts of air tools again so i'll post pics during the process. Should be a epic EPIC EPIC cpu only loop, and then once the 390x's come out there will be a separate loop for "THEM" ;) Everything is ordered and on the way. LOVE THE MODDING PART of pc's so this is gonna be fun.

OH and BTW, dont ever buy the HAF XB case, i hate the damn thing and can't understand why i bought it... I think im just gonna throw the bitch away i hate it so much

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Dizzam. That is one sexy ass build. Other than the case of course lol. Didn't even know they had DDR4 yet for RAM. That is crazy! I must ask though, how are those GPU's running for you. I have 2 Gigabyte R9 290's and them fuckers RUN HOT even with another PCIe slot inbetween them. Also, I do not know if you are aware of the new feature since you just moved to AMD. Check out their Virtual Super Resolution. Allows you to run at a higher resolution than native. For some reason, it doesn't allow me to run at full 4k. My friend who showed it to me can how ever. I must say, all my games look 100x better at 3200x1800.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Gay

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Dizzam. That is one sexy ass build. Other than the case of course lol. Didn't even know they had DDR4 yet for RAM. That is crazy! I must ask though, how are those GPU's running for you. I have 2 Gigabyte R9 290's and them fuckers RUN HOT even with another PCIe slot inbetween them. Also, I do not know if you are aware of the new feature since you just moved to AMD. Check out their Virtual Super Resolution. Allows you to run at a higher resolution than native. For some reason, it doesn't allow me to run at full 4k. My friend who showed it to me can how ever. I must say, all my games look 100x better at 3200x1800.

Very familiar with all that. Im a hardware addict since 486 days ;)

Gay

:cray:

Very familiar with all that. Im a hardware addict since 486 days ;)

Gay

:cray:

Cool Cool, well how them cards running? What temps are you seeing? Idle, maxed out.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

cards are good.. with a 512bit mem bus and 4gb ram each, they game amazingly well. clocks are at a modest 1105core 5.6ghz mem. about 360gb/s mem bandwidth. temps are "OK", hawaii cores run hot as hell, max temps while benching heavan are about 78c (hottest card) with fan profile set to 75%. I would water cool them both but since the 390x's are right around the corner, im going to sell these gems and get 390x's. HBM should be amazing ;)

My R9 290X Tri-X has one bad fan and still floats around 68C under load, wayyy better than my old reference card. It's also quiet too... I'm trying to get another one at the moment. I had one running @ 4K but it's just not enough GPU power at that resolution. It was perfect @ 1440p though, no hiccups.

R9 300 won't be till June from what I've read.

Sounds like you might need a HDMI catagory 2 cable. That was the highest I could get on my old HDMI cable, after upgrading to a HDMI catagory 2 cable, it allowed me to run 4K.

Archived