Second Skin Audio

AMERICAN BASS DX154 4th order box

bassaddiction

im going to order a AMERICAN BASS DX154. bc i want to make a 4th order for the frist time.

its going to go in my den. im going to use it as a surround sound subwoofer

im trying to get it as musical and spl as posibile

its beening powered by a crown xls1000

can any one give me an idea of how big of a box i would need or design thanks

max dimensions are 40 wid x 28 deep x 36 tall

tunning around low 30s

more info

efficiency bandwidth product (EBP)
=47.874015748031
and subwoofer spec are
Impedence (Ohm) 4
Rdc (Ohm) 3.5
Levc mH 3.783
Fo Hz 30.4
Sd msqM 76.45
BL TM 16.295
Qms 4.764
Qes 0.635
Qts 0.56
n% 0.375
SPL dB 89.8
Vas L 89.6
Cms uM/N 105.6
Mms g 259.6
VC Inch 2.5
Mgnt oz 120
Xmax ±MM 15
RMS 500W
MAX 1000W
F.Range Hz <500
Mounting Depth
MM 228
Inch 9
SPK DISP. L 6.824
i think i want a ratio 1:2.

Is this going to be used mostly for music or movies?

You could go 3 cubes sealed, and 1.5 cubes ported at 43 Hz. That will get you decent output from about 70 Hz down to the mid 20's Hz, possibly lower depending on your room.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Is this going to be used mostly for music or movies?

You could go 3 cubes sealed, and 1.5 cubes ported at 43 Hz. That will get you decent output from about 70 Hz down to the mid 20's Hz, possibly lower depending on your room.

I thought the sealed side was always 1/2 the area of the ported

And I making it for music mostly but I will watch movies to

The size of the ported side determines how peaky the output will be. In cars you can get away with a more peaky response since most folks crossover pretty low and cabin gain will boost the low end.

In your house, that peaky response will not be what you want. You will have a one note wonder. The idea that all bandpass boxes should be a 2:1 ported:sealed ratio is just as bad, if not worse, than the 12-16 sq in of port per cube rule. Both are over-generalizations that may work sometimes, but just as often will be significantly sub-optimal. Every sub is different and every application has different requirements.

For both movies and music use, what I recommended above should work well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

The size of the ported side determines how peaky the output will be. In cars you can get away with a more peaky response since most folks crossover pretty low and cabin gain will boost the low end.

In your house, that peaky response will not be what you want. You will have a one note wonder. The idea that all bandpass boxes should be a 2:1 ported:sealed ratio is just as bad, if not worse, than the 12-16 sq in of port per cube rule. Both are over-generalizations that may work sometimes, but just as often will be significantly sub-optimal. Every sub is different and every application has different requirements.

For both movies and music use, what I recommended above should work well.

thanks for the help so if i did a sloted port on 1.5 cubes how much port area would i need

lets say i made the box 18 h 30 w 21d thats 5.3 ft cube

then take up 3 cube for sealed

im left with 2 - displacement of port and subwoofer

vent side is

18 h 12w 21d

port 16.5h 1.5w 20 L tuned at 42 ?

would that work

All your sound comes out of that port, so we really want to keep port velocities at a reasonable level. I'd recommend a 2.5" w by 16.5" h port. It would need to be about 29.5" long, so you will have to put some corners or a 180 in it, it will be worth it for the extra port area though.

Another recommendation I have is to put the motor side of the sub in the ported chamber. It will get better cooling and if you push things too far you might be able to smell the coil before you make a slinky out of it. Just be sure to factor in the sub displacement when you figure out your chamber volumes. You really want to be accurate with bandpass boxes.

Builds:

All your sound comes out of that port, so we really want to keep port velocities at a reasonable level. I'd recommend a 2.5" w by 16.5" h port. It would need to be about 29.5" long, so you will have to put some corners or a 180 in it, it will be worth it for the extra port area though.

Another recommendation I have is to put the motor side of the sub in the ported chamber. It will get better cooling and if you push things too far you might be able to smell the coil before you make a slinky out of it. Just be sure to factor in the sub displacement when you figure out your chamber volumes. You really want to be accurate with bandpass boxes.

thanks for the help i would have fucked it up lol

i made the corrections

if u could look it over that would be cool

107ecf7d-b590-44f7-b218-4f81ef32b7d9_zps

Are those dimension external or internal? I'll model it up in SketchUp to check everything, but it might take me a day or two. One thing that jumps out a me right away, did you account for the thickness of the baffle panel?

Builds:

I checked over you numbers, you had things a little on the large size. I shortened the box up a bit to get the internal volumes right. I kept the 22" x 18" external dimensions the same.

z81mDLJ.jpg

I calculated the sub displacement to be .174 cubes, I accounted for this in the above design. This design is actually very similar to a 4th order bandpass I built a while back for a Stereo Integrity 15"

uufeHj6.jpg

Builds:

Archived