TEXAS RESIDENTS!!!!

Whats up all!!! So, pretty fed up with being a business owner here in Cali.....we have decided to make a move to Houston area. just outside of it, actually. Looking at properties in Katy, TX, and several others. I have a friend there that is a mechanic for a classic car restoration company, and thought he would be able to answer my questions. But he is usually to high to keep a train of thought, lol

My questions are:

Do they smog check/emission check vehicles? Never had a problem with any of our vehicles passing...but nail bitter everytime it comes up. Also, would love to LS swap the civic....hard to do here in Cali! Do they care if you swap in a motor NOT originally equipped in that car?

depends on the year of your vehicle, dont know about Cali but here its pretty easy to get your shit passed.. espeically in a city like houston or dallas, i lived in houston for 6 years, currently in dallas

What does the "inspection" consist of? In New Orleans, it was just a lamp/horn/safety inspection kinda thing.

no cracked wndsheilds, lots of little bullshit actually, unless you car is over 25 years old

Tinted windows? Hate that I cant legally tint my front side windows.....Can you tint in Texas?

are you white? do you roll with your driver window down? cops are pretty racist here but usually wont say/do shit as much to a white guy. i have all my window 5% tinted and a VERY illegal eye brow thats 5% as well. been pulled over for bass and speeding a few times, cops never said shit but a buddy of mine on here, Wood, has had alot of problems with the cops over his tint..

lowered/lifted laws? Is it really "bigger in texas"?

bagged is fine, lifted not a problem unless you have Johns Sky High truck lol./..

yes everything is bigger, and better, the food is awesome. i love the katy area i have some family there. you will love texas, similar views but a fun state none the less.. oh and the bass scene is kick ass here like cali's as well.. enjoy, hope to see you at some shows

And if there is ANYTHING youd like to add about your state....Id love to hear all about it!!! Dont want to get there and be ANYTHING like Cali.....

35 in front and whatever in back is legal.

I have 5% in front, and double 5 elsewhere.. Cops don't trip on it.

They don't trip on lower / lifted.

Annual inspection. Tons of places you pay a little more and get it done if you don't leaglly pass lol.

If you're gonna open a shop here, be prepared to deal with cheap customers as in this area (I actually work at a shop in this area)

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch

Man....it makes a nice work bench ;)

Alright if you want real legitimate answers about which counties do emissions checks and which do safety only then PM me. I'm a licensed state inspector for Texas and have the books of statutes to list everything

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

Alright if you want real legitimate answers about which counties do emissions checks and which do safety only then PM me. I'm a licensed state inspector for Texas and have the books of statutes to list everything

Is there really that large a difference between counties?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

zero emissions testing in Jefferson county

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Yes there is a huge difference. When I get out of class and on my computer I'll explain

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

Whats up all!!! So, pretty fed up with being a business owner here in Cali.....we have decided to make a move to Houston area. just outside of it, actually. Looking at properties in Katy, TX, and several others. I have a friend there that is a mechanic for a classic car restoration company, and thought he would be able to answer my questions. But he is usually to high to keep a train of thought, lol

My questions are:

Do they smog check/emission check vehicles? Never had a problem with any of our vehicles passing...but nail bitter everytime it comes up. Also, would love to LS swap the civic....hard to do here in Cali! Do they care if you swap in a motor NOT originally equipped in that car?

What does the "inspection" consist of? In New Orleans, it was just a lamp/horn/safety inspection kinda thing.

Tinted windows? Hate that I cant legally tint my front side windows.....Can you tint in Texas?

lowered/lifted laws? Is it really "bigger in texas"?

And if there is ANYTHING youd like to add about your state....Id love to hear all about it!!! Dont want to get there and be ANYTHING like Cali.....

Motor swaps are legal, however you need all the parts on the engine that deal with emissions such as egr valves, catalytic converters, mufflers, resonators (for newer diesels). Basically, if it came stock on the vehicle it must remain (im not saying aftermarket isn't allowed). The only issue I see with a motor swap has to deal with the OBD system. ONLY IF IN EMISSIONS COUNTIES ( El Paso, Williamson, Travis, Denton, Collin, Tarrant, Parker, Johnson, Ellis, Kaufman, Rockwall, Dallas, Montgomery, Ft Bend, Brazoria, Harris, Galveston) do they hook up the state computer to the OBD port to read engine codes (this checks for MIL/CEL on the computer status and also fails if the codes are recently cleared. This also pulls the information from the cars computer to know what car it is hooked up to). This prevents someone with a MIL/CEL that would normally fail and emissions inspection from hooking up a different car in its place. Emissions inspections that hook up to the computer are only on 1996-present (OBD 2 systems), while emissions inspections that do a smog check (probing the exhaust) are for cars pre1996 till 25yrs of age. Any car 25yrs and older is a safety inspection.

Safety inspection- Horn, no holes in anylight assembly, headlights (high and low), brake lights, tail lights, blinkers, clearance lights (if you have cab lights, they have to work), license plate lights (only 1 has to work), serpentine belt (rips, frays etc), power steering (no leaks, not low), brake fluid level, brakes (stopping distance going 20mph, parking brake (hold on a hill in drive or on flat surface while under "slight" load), tires 2/32 minimum and no cords showing, lug nuts present, only 1 mirror of the 3, wiper blades cannot be torn, tint (anything behind driver can be 0%, driver and front passenger nothing below 25%, windsheild tint cannot go past AS1 line or if no line present then it is no more than 5". Only eyebrow tint and can be 0%) Gas cap test (yes it is in safety for some reason, stupid law). Seat belts. Exhaust system (cats, mufflers)

Lifted trucks- I believe headlights cant be higher than 72". Ive never had a truck that big in 3 years so it wont be an issue for you lol

We don't deal with smog checks.

You could put whatever engine you want in your car. As long as it passes inspection it's all good.

Inspection main parts are horn, lights, brakes, legal tint, general safety. Basically if your car got you to the inspection place and isn't falling apart it should pass.

You can have 5% on back windows, 25% on front driver and passenger window and 5% above the AS1 line on the windshield.

For lifted I think your headlights have to be like under 5 ft. from the ground or something like that to pass inspection. Can't remember exact number. I don't remember on lowered. I think lights have to be like 18 in. from the ground.

Yes parts of Texas do smog checks.

Are these inspections annual? How much does vehicle tags cost and are they annual or not?

Annual inspections. Safety inspection is $14.50, emissions depends on which county because some put them on a dyno and some dont. Emissions could be $28.75-$40

I have light sensitivity, but Cali doesn't care. No matter, my fronts are always at 5%.

The emissions part is awesome though. I can build my motor, WITH a crazy cam, to make stupid power from a small block on pump fuel.

OH yeah, does Texas have octanes higher than 91?

Most rural areas the highest is 91. Most more developed areas highest is 93

35 in front and whatever in back is legal.

I have 5% in front, and double 5 elsewhere.. Cops don't trip on it.

They don't trip on lower / lifted.

Annual inspection. Tons of places you pay a little more and get it done if you don't leaglly pass lol.

If you're gonna open a shop here, be prepared to deal with cheap customers as in this area (I actually work at a shop in this area)

Your tint comment in wrong.

You (almost) cannot pay to avoid an emissions sticker. Almost guarantee for the inspector to get caught (if 1996-newer). Maybe you pay extra and he passes you but only does a safety inspection and you dont know the difference on the sticker color, but we do.

Safety inspections anyone can pass if payed money lol

MY BUILD

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

If youre worried about inspections, you should come to OK. No inspections whatsoever. I can do whatever I want to whatever vehicle I want and as long as it has a tag and insurance I can drive it on the road. Now if you get pulled over and the officer is having a bad day or something then you can be ticketed for dark tint, no converters , etc. but I've never known it to happen.

Archived